A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

It's a great idea folks:)

I think I may have thought of a great idea for us parents of young kids! (although I imagine this has been done before, I just have never heard of anyone doing it:)


Today, Daphne came home with an envelope stapled to a piece of paper. The paper went on to explain that her school will be having a special event called "Little Shoppers" next week during lunch and afterschool. There will be a little store full of small gifts for their family members and volunteers helping the kids spend their money wisely.


At first I thought that sounded great - but she's not there at those times...so it's a little inconvenient, plus I would rather do it a little different. I think I am going to give them an envelope and either let them earn money to put in it during the next two weeks OR let them get money out of their piggy banks.


Then I am going to hire wise shopping and patient Grandmas to take Maisie and Daphne shopping for the people they want to buy for. I really think this will help them get excited about Christmas morning even more - the whole giving process AND will teach them a little bit about budgeting too.
I'm hoping the shopping trip will end with a wrapping activity too, so that their gifts can remain a secret.

What a great tradition to start with our kids!


Here's that envelope:





1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Oooh. Count me in. Not to mention teaching them the joy of shopping. Love,Grandma Pam