A Mayflower's Musings

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Daphne's a writer now!

I'm going to start by giving you all a little prior knowledge. Here goes...For four years I taught first and second graders and everyday my favorite subject was teaching them to WRITE! (You should have seen their pictures and journaling the morning of September 11th!!!) It's not always the easiest subject to teach, but I love helping them learn this skill. They get to record their thoughts on paper for the first time and especially at the beginning of first grade, all approximations are encouraged (phonetic spelling).

Well, here I am now, a mother of a kindergartener and being one of the eldest in her class, she is ready for all these new skills. They are coming to her quickly and I am so proud that she is able to put down the sounds she hears in each word. I always get so excited and chuckle at her stories. (Jill I am mailing you the one about Elsa's b-day party as it is hilarious and the picture she drew of the stairs is priceless)

So far, I am not the best organizer of their paperwork, so I am going to publish a few of her earliest writings here for my own memory keeping!




(We were watching my newborn sister's bath.)

The night before we had watched home videos of Ruby.

Dad said let her swim a little longer.


The label on that building: Sandwich Express


Saving the best for last here!!! This was a posty Mike found on his computer the other evening after we returned from our date.
It reads, "How do you work the IPOD?"




5 comments:

crystalkupper said...

Writing is the best! So glad she's learning.

Unknown said...

These are priceless! I'm now motivated to do this with max, though, he's not as willing to sit and do things like this as she is...The love for writing must be in our genes. I was at CV today helping small groups with their writing! I LOVED it! Talk soon---

Sarri said...

Love love love love it!! Super cute!

Growing Good Golfers said...

Good job Daphne!

Rachel said...

You've been writing so many posts lately, and I've been slacking at looking at my google reader, that I was just reading thru them until I came to this post...and I had to stop.
I LOVE THIS STAGE!!
This is so wonderful, I love the notes (sometimes that take a few minutes to figure out) I love the stories...with the pictures above them. I think it's some of the best child writing ever!