A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Hunter's Family









Mike got his first elk last week. The girls and I were actually excited for him because we understand how much he wanted this. Plus, he was hunting with my uncles, which made the event more sweet to me. I love that they have a great relationship and can go on these manly weekends together.

Back to the girls though...they are proud too. Heck, he has the girls watch hunting shows each weekend in the fall, so they actually understand a bit about the sport and want to go themselves someday. Scary and sweet all at the same time.

The funniest thing though today. We came home from ballet and Mike was preparing the meat in a food grinder...so the red carnage was spilling out of the machine into a bowl. Mike invited them to help - still in pink tu-tu's and all. I snuck in the office to ignore all "that" in the kitchen. I mean the looks of my kitchen alone was enough to steer me in a different direction.

A few minutes later Daphne came in here sobbing, saying her daddy was going to make her eat that meat. Poor thing, it took me a long time to settle her down and assure her that today was not a day she would have to eat elk meat and thus we could put off the worries for another day.

We'll see if she ever becomes the big game hunter that her daddy longs for:)

4 comments:

Glory Laine said...

The sheer joy on that man's face. Super happy for him.

Debbie said...

Way to go Mike

How cool!

momaof4 said...

Yeah!!! Glad he got something this year.

Candi said...

Way to go Mike! I remember watching my dad skin a deer as it hung in the shed. It didn't bother me to watch, but for a while I didn't want to eat it. After a while she'll be alright with it, and I bet she'll be a great hunter woman!