A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, November 21, 2011

November 21 - To Have and To Hold

Mike and I returned from our weekend getaway yesterday afternoon. And it really was a get-a-way. We shut the entire world out - even the view of the outside at times. I know it's just the time and place of our life right now, but when we get some kid-free time, we don't really want to do anything. So we watched 3 movies, made food in, read our books, held Henry, sat on the deck and watched the river run by...you get the picture. Yes, and that is why today is a bit of a reality thumper!

I have a few pictures to show you of our time at the beach, but today, I scanned a couple of our 13 year old wedding photos into the computer so that you can glimpse a bit of our wedding day! It's funny how finally when I look at these now, I can see a big difference in what we look like today.




As I wrote my title today, I realized something. For the past eight years, Mike has graciously and thankfully allowed me to hold my babies more than him (in a literal and figurative way). He knows and I know that this is the way it is meant to be - they need me! But as I have mourned the fact that I will never be pregnant again or deliver another new life into this world, I find comfort in that Mike will eventually begin to have and hold me again more.

Whenever I get sad I try to turn it around and be enthused about birthing a NEW body for myself and a new chapter in our lives. Oh, I know, I have a few more years of young kiddos around here. And I am so glad for that! Henry is totally spoiled because I pick him up whenever he cries and snuggle him dearly.

But this past weekend and today, I celebrate the wife in me - the one I want to be for him, for me, and for the little girls in my life watching me oh so closely.

2 comments:

February Jill said...

Such a great reminder Stef :) Those guys need us too! I think if we leave them alone long enough they'll cry about it too, just like the babies.

crystalkupper said...

I remember having such fun at your wedding! I thought you were the most beautiful bride ever.

And getting your body back is so exciting! Exercise is the best thing ever -- it gives you so much energy, I couldn't survive without it.