A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Why facebooking won out...

I guess my first real post back should explain why I've been bad at this lately. I have to go back.back.back. Blogging was like a best friend to me a few years ago when we were right in the middle of having babies and moving into a new house, and well I'm so glad I started doing it. Lots of good girlfriends did it too, and I think we kept each other sane with our reflective, funny, and constant journaling. And then facebook. One by one my blogging friends started blogging less and entered this other social media world. I was NOT sold. How could I keep up my blogging love and do that too? Why would I want to see friends that I had let go, to be real honest, to compare myself to? Especially when my self-image was at a all time low...NOPE, to share my little thumbnail of a picture did not sound fun! But then back in May 2012 I did the unthinkable and let go and joined! Telling myself it was for my family members, who, although were given my blog address time and time again...seemed more fixated on facebook and the ease of it all. That was back in June, and although I have still blogged occasionally and will continue to stubbornly do it for our family records and for my need to vent through writing....facebook won out. It won out, because I LOVE the automatic feedback. And I love quick snapshots into people's lives. And even yet, I'm not sure I'll be there forever. Sometimes my addictive personality, makes it so facebook takes up important chore and live in the moment time. So, I do give myself weeks off of it. For November though, I'm parked here, mostly with myself and my forced readers (who this gets emailed to) and come November 2022, I'll be so happy to come back to my blog records and see all my posts about a 9,7,4 and 1 year old in my life! All the facebook posts, they are just candy, but these blog posts..they are my sustenance.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I HEAR YOU!!!! Facebook has sucked the life out of my blog. I post pics on facebook and get all the recognition you ever thought you might need. But I have realized that my instant gratification is not as important to me as having all those memories written down.