A Mayflower's Musings

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Home on the Ranger

This could be one of my funniest posts of the month, so I hope I can do it justice, and give you a great giggle for the day.

So, a few weeks ago, Ruby told me that she would be having a school program and that her class was learning "Home on the Ranger".  Now, like with all moms of preschool students, I had to do some filling in the blanks.  Here is what I deciphered.   They were singing Home on the Range, but she was adding an R to the end of the word, range, to make it ranger.  I had noticed the whole school was learning God Bless America at one of the chapels I attended with her, so maybe the school was preparing a patriotic/american classics program for the upcoming Veteran's holiday or something like that.

Every once in awhile in the last two weeks she'd say, "I really need to practice my 'home on the ranger' song".  I don't pay close attention to the preschool handouts, so I was taking the little Ruby explained with the little interaction I have with the school and basically thought little about this song she was concerned about.  Oh yeah, I think I sang it to her a few times while I was multitasking ...it's a song our family knows well, as Mike has been singing it to Henry since he was a newborn.

Speed forward to yesterday as we were leaving the preschool parking lot.  Ruby said mom, "I really need to practice my 'Home on the Ranger' song.  Now I'm starting to think fast...hmmm....Veterans Day is now over..but I begin to sing...

"Home, home on the range..."  and Ruby joins in...

"no crib for a bed".

Yep folks.  There's the punchline.  All this time, this mom had no idea that everytime Ruby said, "home on the ranger", she really MEANT ..."Away in the MANGER!"

Does it get any better than that?  (a little bit...cuz last night she told Mike that Jesus was really named Henry)

I've got my work cut out!

2 comments:

crystalkupper said...

Haha, love it! At least you know she's listening to Mike. :-)

February Jill said...

So cute! I'm enjoying all the posts that get delivered to my email. I get my email on my phone so I read them as soon as you publish. You are doing so well!