A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

This ones for Steve!


To me a hero is someone who comes to your rescue and doesn't ask why you are in the predicament you find yourself.

When we are stuck we don't need a lot of questions,   we just need help.

On Saturday,  I found myself in such a fix.  I barely made it into Sunriver with my vehicle.  In Bend the engine light came on and it didn't want to go as the light went from red to green.  I slowly pulled into the closest parking lot and let it rest- saying prayers. Luckily when I turned it back on it seemed okay.  We made it into sunriver resort -  but in the last hills up to the house it started to sputter again.

Now -  everyone was out and about when we arrived accept my cousin in law -  Jill's dad-  Steve.  Now imagine the dad of one of your best friends later in life.  You don't have a lot of years of memories but you've been at birthday parties and dedications and seasonal gatherings together and you know he's one to count on!  

I explained my worry.  Something was wrong.  He jumped into action!  Checked out my oil situation-  no oil was showing up on the stick thing.  (Seriously I don't know much). So he rode his bike to the nearby store and got oil.  He put it in and still no oil registering on that stick thingy.

So now he says he's gonna drive it to Bend and get the oil changed and see what's going on.  He's gone for a long time.  Come to find out he waited in a line for 1 hr and 30 min..... Only to still not be waited on so he went to the 2nd shop.  They changed my oil and put a lot in-  for some reason my van is losing oil.  He paid for it and brought it back problem solved at least temporarily.  

I had no cash on me- so as soon as I could get some,  I went to hand him what was owed him.  But he wouldn't let me pay him.

My hero!  Not once did he make me feel like a stupid girl driver and there was no question about me taking up his vacation time.  He just saved the day.

I may have cried a little when he told me  and I quote "it made me feel good to do this for you-  don't take that away from me" when I tried to give him the cash.  And he probably doesn't understand exactly why cuz I was in no state to explain.

Every since my dad passed away and mom got sick I feel a real appreciation to anyone that shows me some nurturing.  I figure we all like to feel taken care of every once in awhile.

So in honor of Steve -  make sure to be a hero to someone soon.  No questions asked just lend a hand.  Be a blessing.  
Steve,  I know my dad was smiling down from heaven thankful that you stepped in and that you made sure his grand babies were safe too!

(Precious cargo)

In honor of you I am boycotting red sauce and chicken combinations!  (Inside joke)

Stefanie

2 comments:

February Jill said...

Stefanie, that is the sweetest! You are so easy to love.

crystalkupper said...

Steve is one of this world's best. We all miss him.