A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, September 24, 2007

The Perfect Apple Slice







Did you ever have a moment, when you realized you had truly become a mom?






And I am not talking about the moment your first baby was born, or even the first year of your child's life when everything was miraculous, and exciting and scary...but somewhere in the ordinary moments of your life, when you stepped back and went, "Okay, now is the moment!"






I had a moment like that not too long ago. Like I said, it was a very ordinary activity in my day. I was preparing a very usual lunch for my hungry girls. I had already put the main staple on their plates - something exciting like turkey dogs or pb sandwiches. Then I went over to the cutting board to slice up an apple. I went chop, chop, chop and then took each wedge and did a quick and easy slicing movement to remove the core left on it. I looked down to my cutting board and went,






"WOW, just look at that! Okay, I genuinely have reached MOM STATUS."






Why you ask? Well, I remember eating lots of lunches as a kid that consisted of a sandwich, apple or orange slices and chips. No biggee right? I thought so too at the time. Then I started babysitting A LOT as a teenager and I would go to do the apple slices and they came out all mangled and ugly. The kids didn't care, but I always wondered how my mom always made them look so pretty.






Well, the other day, I realized that I had become like my mom, a Master Apple Slicer. And since that moment, I have been looking at my apple slices as a piece of art. Not because I really think apples are very pleasing to the eye, but because I had performed a very usual motherly task so many times for my kids now, that I became really good at it.






So, today, September 25th, is my mom's birthday. And I dedicate this blog to her. Thanks for all the apple slices over the years Mom, and of course, for all the other great things you did and DO for us too!






And she's beautiful too...Happy Birthday Mom!!!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Stef! Cute post, I've had moments like that, too. You'll remember your Mom for something that you're doing!

Glad I found your blog! Hope you're feeling great with baby #3!The girls are growing up so fast...they're too cute! Lily will be four in January, and it seems like the time has really whizzed by!

Glory Laine said...

Way too wonderful! Love the new look. You are so going to have to help me update my old look. Great job you are a pro blogger.

Anonymous said...

First, happy birthday to your mom. Yahoo for moms :)

Second, I completely know what you mean about those "mom moments." I had Maggie when I was 22, so my moments came when I was young, and they kinda freaked me out. But now, it's nice to be able to slice up those apples quickly, or do three things at once.

I liked the picture of the apples, it makes me want to come over and visit!

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday, Stef's Mom!!!

This was just an absolutely sweet post! What a great tribute to your mom~and super great picture of you two, too!

I had Gabby when I was 20, so I'm actually still in denial that I'm a mom. When I went to her first middle school choir concert a year ago, I actually had this strange feeling that I was JUST up on that stage singing in my middle school choir...it was bizarre! I still don't feel old enough to be a mom! Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know!

Angela said...

That is so sweet and I love the new look!
Happy happy birthday to your mama!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just checked your blog (sorry to be slow) and love the one about apple slices. I appreciate your comparison, Stef, but have to admit you are a mom extraordinare! Where I cut slices to feed, and you do too--you also see the art and design in them, which is something I am still learning to do. I can only say thank you for the beautiful tribute to your mom, and tell you what an honor it is to be that lady! You bless every day of my life.
God bless you, and I'll see you-with Daphne-a little after 3 pm today. Just call me if you need to adjust the schedule for whatever reason.
Love and blessings,
Mom