A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, September 3, 2007

Back To School At Our House


As our first daughter begins preschool today I realize it signifies so many things:

1. Our first baby really isn't a baby anymore!! Although she was very clear in making sure we remembered that, "It's not big kid school yet, Mom and Dad"(rolling her eyes just a little), when we both got sort of mushy with her at bedtime last night.


2. Although preschool is only twice a week, my "footloose and fancy free" schedule is starting to get more locked into place. No more, "Hey Becca, let's go to McCall in the middle of the week and surprise the grandparents"!


(Luckily, her preschool is in the afternoons, so I can still wear my pjs around the house in the mornings for at least another year)


3. My husband and I, both "retired" public school teachers, have been away from the school calendar for 2 and 4 years respectively, so this brings back all those first days of school feelings of nervousness and excitement.




(It's amazing that I have now been a stay at home mom for as many years as I taught - wow, how time flies)


4. New School Clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for Daphne of course)


5. Oh, and how can I forget HOW am I going to manage taking Daphne to school, right smack dab in the middle of Maisie's nap time, driving and finding a parking spot, getting both girls out of carseats and into the school, going back home for 2 hours, and then doing all that again. Don't even want to imagine, doing all that with an infant in tow too. Any suggestions graduated preschool moms?

But truly, even with the inconveniences of number five on my list - I am SO excited!!!
Memories for us to Remember: We took you to JC Penney's to get new shoes at the last moment, about an hour and a half before preschool began, which was a little bit of a time crunch in our schedule. Then we dropped off your little sister at a friend's, so that we could take you out to your favorite restaurant, before your BIG first day, and then daddy and I both got to attend class with you this first time. You were a really good girl and wanted to go back the next day as soon as we left.






4 comments:

Glory Laine said...

Fantastic! We've been talking about this day for a long time. I am so glad that you and Mike got to make her feel special today. Can't wait to see her new school shoes. Oh and when I told Tobin that you guys were coming over tomorrow, He said that he hoped Daphne would wear a dress. PS way to go posting a picture!

Stefanie said...

But it reminded me of when I bought Lesley new shoes...
I was heading into Newberg, having great labor pains with you! I had a 2:00 appointment with the doctor, and knew he'd send me to the hospital, but Lesley didn't have any shoes that were 1) decent and 2) fitting, so we stopped at the nearest store in Newberg, got her new shoes, and headed to Grandpa & Grandma H's, dropped Lesley off with her new shoes, and headed to the doctors and hospital. Four hours later, you were born and checking out me and the rest of the world. My, how new shoes go along with great events in our lives!!
Love you, and kisses to our big girl and little Maisie, too!
See you soon!
Mom

February Jill said...

Today was Elsa's first day. I was so excited and so was she. But now I am at home, all weepy and not so excited to do all the chores I was planning on doing while she's gone.

Anonymous said...

Stef...Love your blog. Seriously...It made my day! Keep it up. Plus, I feel like I don't miss you as much. Perhaps I should do one too! :)