A Mayflower's Musings

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Maisie Turns Two!




Maisie Josephine came into the world with a little bit of drama on September 27th, 2005. It was a Tuesday, and I had gone to my midwife for my 39th week appt. To my shock, we found out she was breech. That was around 10am and by 5pm I was undergoing a procedure called a version, which involves turning the baby with a good amount of delicate pressure to the outside of your belly - all the while an ultrasound tech is helping the doctor see what position the baby is in. Maisie turned - a 50% chance. We were ready to be induced and have this baby. But then her heartrate dipped really low, 2 times in a short period. Luckily the ER team and room was all ready for me (a formality with the version procedure). And you probably guess the rest of the story - Maisie was born cesarean section. A perfect, 7 lb 11 ounce little girl:)



I can't believe two years have passed...For those that have known her since her birth, isn't she looking like such a big girl?





Maisie's is my yellow girl, so when I came up blank for birthday party themes, I just went with YELLOW!







The kids were invited to wear yellow and most of the little ones must of had stuff in their closet to fit the bill, because here they are looking cute!




This is another "Pam cake". She will be horrified that I included it in this post, as she hated the way it turned out. But, you will agree with me, that it was whimsical and feminine and perfect!

The highlight of the party, for Maisie, was definitely the singing and blowing out candles. She sang along and tasted the frosting and loved every minute of it.

The "big kids", slipped into typical gender roles - girls in dress up clothes the entire night and the boys racing around and giving Maisie tips on how to ride (or how they would like to ride) her new hotwheel.




This intimate gathering turned out exactly how I envisioned it weeks ago...just family celebrating Maisie. The only thing that didn't quite turn out as planned, were the miniature carmel apples. Any suggestions here?




And finally, because I know my readers will like this, I am sharing that instead of giving out party favors to the kids, I decided on coffee candies and Starbucks giftcards for the MOMS at the party!










**This post is dedicated to my husband, who stopped his office work to hang new shelves, and jumped in helping with the girls off and on through out the day, and my mom who came over three and a half hours before the party to help with the girls. Without them, I never would have been able to pull this one off!

9 comments:

momaof4 said...

To fun!!

Girls birthday's! I have only done boys really, so far. But this year we get a Hello Kitty. :) Pink and all.

She is super cute, and I love her dress!!!

Julie said...

WOW! I think the cake turned out adorable...Pam is amazing!

Maisie Jo, what a cutie! She looks like daddy, doesn't she? I can't believe she is two already!

Love the pics of all of the kids, they all look great in their yellow outfits. And the "goody bag" idea... that's pure genius! Can I come to the next party? Please?

Glory Laine said...

I am holding on to my precious Starbucks card like a "get out of jail free" card. Waiting for just the right insane moment to cash it in.
Wonderful party! Perfect amount of guests and the kids just had way too much fun.

Angela said...

What a fun party!
The cake is adorable. Nice job Pam!
And the carmel apples and gift cards, you are awesome!
Happy birthday Maisie!

Sharon said...

It looks like a sunshiney-yellow day! Happy and fun~way to go!!! You're a party pro! (Hey, that rhymed!)

Anonymous said...

Stef,

I really can’t believe she is two years old. It feels like Kurt, Paivi, and I just came down to see you after she was born. Oh my goodness! And, I love her birthday dress. Too cute!

Also, I completely admire your blogs. You and your family will have amazing memories to look back on someday. J

Anonymous said...

Hi- started to blog back but then realized I need an account. It's free right? Wish I have done this already, but time is flying with too much to do! Maybe once we get settled in it'll become more of a regular thing! We had a great time the other night- will miss being able to do that on a regular basis. It's hard now not to regret taking all those other get-togethers for granted!

Anonymous said...

Attachments
Name Type Save View
Part 1 text/plain Save
Part 2 text/html Save




Hi Riddles, Thank you for including Mariko and me in Maisie's party. I love your wonderful home and your sweet family. It was great to see your mom again Stef. I've got that recipe printed off ready to make.
Mariko is here and not happy that I'm ignoring her so I better go. Sharon

Anonymous said...

Well, you know I don't always get one-on-one with Maisie, so I loved it! I'm not sure which of us was about to nod off as we were swinging on the swing! The dinner was wonderful, and you are a much better cook than I, so I believe you chose wisely.
I hope you all slept well last night. And enjoy this day--wind, rain, fall at last!
Love and xxx's!
Mom