A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Trailblazing....










Tonight I'm at our office with Mike.  Daphne's at home watching the kiddos,  so I can spend a few hours at least in Mike's presence -  even if we aren't talking much.  He's typing away and getting every little detail in order for next week,  as he wont be here.  He will be in Mexico heading up the building of a home for a family there and visiting some little orphans that smile big at their American visitors.

Hopefully the company-  our little company that Mike started when Daphne was born will be able to operate without him here.  It's tricky when there are no substitutes for him.  Usually he can go a week -- but he will come back to 1000 texts emails and calls.  Some problems will arise and it will take him 2 weeks to catch up!

I'm so proud of him-- sitting here watching and reflecting on this journey.  It's been a whirlwind to say the least or should I say a roller coaster -  one that has had more down slopes than up!  

Recently hasn't been much different.  We thought the economy had changed and the up slope would stay for awhile.  But then some bad misfortune or was it learning curves hit hard.   These occurrences left me,  if not him,  wondering for the first time if owning a business was indeed the American Dream for us!  In the last 3 months we've had two different employees completely shock us in ways I can't even write about because I wonder if legally it's the right thing to do.  Also, two different clients turned out to be so vicious that Mike's integrity and character again was attacked.  Don't even mention the financial ramifications all this.

But how does a husband, father and dreamer keep getting up at 330-4am day after day trying so hard to build houses, build relationships, build a business that will bless not just his family but hopefully Gods kingdom when he keeps getting cut down?  I don't know.  And yet he does-  relentlessly with passion and a hope that things will get a little easier.

Recently a friend told me that it's the "first generation" of business owners that endure the fire.  I hadn't even thought about that and my pride soared. She knows first hand from her father's journey-  sweat and tears for 3 blonde babies and a young mom trying to hold a family together.  That comment fueled me.  Ours is a first generation business.  

No cookie cutter brand purchased.  No bigger company out there sending employees or insurances or paid holidays.  This is trailblazing work my husband is doing.  I know I couldn't do it-  I'm too weak.  I don't have the drive, guts or common sense to do what he does.

All I hope is that I can keep the children growing strong and happy.  That there will be a few hot meals and some clean underwear available for all each week.  

Thank you honey for all you do and no matter what happens with Mike Riddle Construction -  I will forever know you gave it your all week after week!  

Now go build that house in Mexico for people that will appreciate it far more and for far longer than any client you have come across.  You are a good and faithful servant.  




1 comment:

crystalkupper said...

My cousin is indeed a good man, and everything that is awesome about America!