A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Experiments in Soccer






Daphne wavered on whether to play soccer this fall, but in the end decided to give it a try. She was very excited...until the first practice. I could tell (as only us mothers can sometimes decipher our childrens' expressions) that she was trying very hard to put on a happy smile during her first soccer lessons. But inside she was feeling anxious and not so confident about this sport. At the halfway mark,while the other girls (who had played together all last year too) were getting water drinks, Daphne came over to my chair and whispered in my ear, "Let's go home RIGHT NOW - I'm really tired!".

The first game was not unlike her first practice but with even more nerves. She had to be taken off the field because she just stopped and started to cry. Not only was this a new thing, but let's face it, her body wasn't used to soccer style cardio either. (Don't you know some people are born runners and some are NOT - her father and I are the latter gene pool).

Needless to say it took all my good parenting "thinking" skills to overcome my good parenting "rescue my baby from any sort of pain and discomfort" intuitions at that moment to agree with Mike that she was going to stick this season out! I'm so glad I have a partner in parenting at those moments, because if it had been just me, we would have thrown in the towel.

But I have to give myself some props too, because although Mike helped with pep talks at bedtime and came to games to cheer her on, and even practiced with her here and there...I had to get her to practice twice a week, and all three kids to the games twice a week too. I mean, sheesh, that's a lot of work in itself - - especially in the beginning when I had to be strong and stick with our "we're not giving up" strategy.

Luckily, she started to like it more and more. The running got easier and the team dynamics aspect is right up her alley. The kids and coach really enjoyed her company so by the end she seemed to be all smiles. The last practice was especially fun for Mike and I, because parents were invited to come play against the kids. Mike is a born athlete and a retired elementary pe teacher so he had a blast and although I didn't play soccer outside of pe growing up...I am actually pretty good at it. Of course we were playing against first graders, so I'm sure that helped a wee little bit! Man was I sore the next day!!

I'm not sure if Daphne will play again in the Spring. But regardless it was such a wonderful experience for her. She stuck with something that doesn't come naturally to her and we really enjoyed rallying around her! I'm sure with three girls in the family we're bound to have a few more soccer days in the future.

1 comment:

crystalkupper said...

I remember my parents' rule about things we didn't like was similar: we never had to try it again, but we did have to stick it out until it was over. It always turned out to be worth it!