A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

It Hurts So Bad

Third baby equals lots of third times through...but some things never get any easier.

Seriously...

Tonight, I let Ruby cry herself to sleep with no help from me at all. It was so painful for me to hear her cry until she got hoarse and gave up. So painful.

You may be asking yourself, "but I thought she was a great sleeper?" Yes, she is...but up to this point I have let her fall asleep on her own little schedule, in my arms or in her swing or bouncy seat and occasionally gotten lucky to nurse her to sleep in her room and in all situations, transferred her to her crib asleep. But this schedule has been getting old and I have been hoping now to put her to bed at the same time as the other girls.

So tonight I put the two older girls to bed promptly at 8pm and then she was next. And like I said, tonight, she cried her little heart out and mine bled listening.

You know what the really sad thing is? I have been known to hand out advice about getting kids to be better sleepers etc etc - and I forget everytime how hard it is to follow thru with your own advice when it comes to your own sweet little cherubs.

I'm not sure if tonight is the beginning of my freedom again in the evenings - but I am reminded tonight that I can't ever tell a mom what's best for her and her baby.

Mike is in his office working away and agreed with my decision, but couldn't hear her screaming and didn't have to suffer with me. So, I just had to write to someone and say, "I did it...she did it...oh, why do I want to just go up and hold her now and say, I'm sorry?!"

9 comments:

Angela said...

Good for you! That was so hard for me too!

Sarri said...

Oh, that's so hard! Give her lots of extra snuggles tomorrow. She'll get there!

Lindsay said...

Way to go! I think it is the smart thing in the long run although so so hard to do. I wasn't very good at it. Especially when they are little babies. When they are 2 and know better it's still hard but mostly just frustrating and annoying. That's why my two year old still uses her binky to fall asleep. :)

Ona said...

It hurt me so much...but it was worth it. It seems like I'm having to go through it again. Kaia is waking up every few hours. It's making very grumpy! I don't know what to do. I let her cry for an hour and her cry is just as strong an hour later as it was at beginning. I guess I'll just keep on trying:)

momaof4 said...

Oh Stef. You have one of the sweetest hearts ever.
I hope she will learn quickly that this is the new routen for Bed time and just fly throw it.

I will be thinking of you at bed time tonight. Praying it goes better, for you both. (go hide with Mike in the office!!)

Glory Laine said...

Just hang on that quiet evenings alone with Mikey are right around the corner.

crystalkupper said...

I haven't had the heart to do that yet...thankfully, Jack cries for only a few minutes now before he falls asleep, and I can handle that. Don't worry, Mom always said a little bit of crying never hurt a baby! Although MUCH easier to hear than do!

Unknown said...

I got teary eyed just reading this, because I know that someday I will have to do the same with my little angel. I am doing the same you were doing, he will fall asleep in my arms, bouncy, swing, eating and I put him to bed already asleep...right now he mainly just naps in his swing too, because if I put him in his crib he just wakes up. I'm just not ready for him to cry it out yet (he's only 3 months), but I don't look forward to the day. You are a strong and wonderful Momma, my heart goes out to you right now! Did she do better last night?

Our great adventure said...

Hey Stef! That is the worst! We're going through that right now with timeouts, she just screams her little head off, and it's so hard to remember in that moment that she's really ok and that what you're doing is best for her! We should try again for a play date and Grace and I can come up and visit!