A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, May 10, 2008

I was born on Mother's Day...May 11, 1977.



Years ago, my mom wrote this in my baby book. I've read this so many times in my life and when people say, "speak life into your children"...I know that my mom was doing this for me from the get go.

(It's hard to read here, so here's my favorite part: 'I knew she would be a remarkably bright and aggressively keen young lady. I nursed her while we waited and she took time from her busy day to look me straight in the eye, as if to see who her mother was at last. I hope she was reassured - I know with that one glance from my new daughter, I could be secure in the knowledge that she knew me as mother and that we would always have a special bond.'

Years later, she is still speaking life into me. She always takes the time to tell me how she loves me and encourages me like no other person. She builds me up and has a gentle way of teaching me even now. Here is my birthday card that she gave me today, 31 years after she wrote in my baby book: (It amazes me that today in this card she used some of the same words like "bond", that she used back then and she wasn't copying from my baby book, since it is in my possession now.) Just a testiment that a mother never forgets those first moments with their babies....

12 comments:

jon said...

hi stef. everyone is asleep here. i just checked your blog and must say - best blog ever. we are so very lucky! there is that old saying about how you cannot choose your family ... but i wouldnt choose anyone else for our mother.

Stefanie said...

It's so true little brother! And all we've been thru...I wouldn't change a thing. Everything is working out to the good of those that love Him.

I couldn't have had more fun growing up with you buddy!

LizzyG said...

Stefanie, this is an absolutely beautiful post. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day and a very special birthday.

Be blessed and enjoy your day!

Glory Laine said...

I am welled up with tears. You are such an extension of your mothers love. And she and you an extension of Christ's kindness. Happy Birthday my sweet Stef. Jon was right on reminding me about how we can't choose our family but if I could choose a woman to be my sister-in-law.... after an extensive interview process I would pick you. I love you.

momaof4 said...

Happy Mothers Day!!

What a lovely Mom to write such sweet notes.

Ona said...

Beautiful!
Happy Mothers Day and have a wonderful birthday!

Rachel said...

How wonderful! I loved writing my letter to my new baby in Sawyer's baby book. It's a special message. Mother's are such wonderful people!

Angela said...

So beauiful!
Happy Birthday dear friend. I hope you had a wonderful day!

Jonathan said...

How great! I hope you had a happy birthday.

Sharon said...

What a wonderful legacy! You learned from the best~just as your 3 precious girls will learn from you! Happy birthday AND Mother's Day!

February Jill said...

Happy birthday (late). I can't wait to celebrate with you next weekend!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday, my beautiful friend! I'm sure you were the perfect Mother's Day gift, what a blessing you are to each other. 💗