A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, May 19, 2008

Beside Still Waters











This weekend, my sister-in-law, Becca and my cousin-in-law, Jill and I escaped for a weekend away at my family's little cabin at the coast. It's only a tiny little fishing cabin, in and of itself not worth much...but its value is all tied up in its location and the memories made inside its walls over many years.

I've been able to bring Jill and Becca here for 5 years in a row to celebrate my birthday. We look forward to every one of our rituals...chatting away on the ride there, watching movies our husbands would roll their eyes over, enjoying the few but very tasty restaurants available, shopping at our favorite store there, and eating sweets in all the down moments. And of course just savoring the view out the window and our bit of hard earned freedom. We did bring along Ruby and Josh, our nursing babes...but that's okay, because we hardly ever just get to love on them like we did with our first babies.

This year, Becca was called home very early in our trip to tend to a sick little one. It was an easy decision of course, as there is no where she wanted to be, but holding her little boy and making sure he got better. The day got even worse when her Jack Russel Terrier got ran over by a car that evening and rushed to the hospital. Fortunately Jabe, her son is doing fine and her dog is home and on the mend too. But, poor Becca, she definitely didn't get the rest she was looking forward to this weekend.

Blessed as we are with husbands that support our little tradition and that this little cabin is available to us FREE, we plan on doing this again next year and the next and the next. I'm so thankful that my family shares this little getaway with each other and that no matter what stage of life we are in, we always can have a beach retreat.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures Becca shot of our little "Woods Cabin" the night before she had to leave us.

11 comments:

Sarri said...

Sounds DIVINE! Thanks for saying 'hi.' It's good to 'see' you on here!

Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend! That is so sad that Becca had to go home-but the good news is that there are more memories to come on your annual retreat!

February Jill said...

It really was fun Stef. Thanks again for taking me. I always enjoy the beach!

Jen said...

oh no, ROSCOE!!! Stephanie, can you send Becca and Roscoe my love? I once owned his sister Joey (before I gave her away), and Becca and I took our dogs home the same night, we'll always have the dog bond. Also, Joey got hit by a car a few years back at her new owner's house, but did end up recovering.

Anyway...get well soon Roscoe! Jen Green

Sharon said...

What a beautiful oasis!

My heart sank when I read about Rosco!! I'm so glad he's on the mend!

Glad you girls were able to get away~what an awesome annual tradition!

Ona said...

It sounds so relaxing. How fun you girls get to get away for your birthday.

Judy said...

Hi! Hey, glad you found my blog--now I get to read yours, too! It's been so long since I've seen you...and they say McMinnville is small! Huh. Your girls are darling!!!

crystalkupper said...

I'm so jealous! And poor Roscoe! I'll pray for a speedy recovery. I'm glad you had a fun birthday weekend!

Angela said...

That place looks so great!
Thank goodness you have next year to look forward too.
Hope you are having a great week!

Jonathan said...

Hi Stef,

I'm doing well. It is neat to experience the history (and the photography) of so much of Europe. My mom and I went to London too! I'll probably blog that in a few weeks - I'm about a month ahead of my blog it seems.

It's sad to not be near Grandma now, but I made a point of spending some time down at their house in December before I left. Obviously I'd love to see her more, but if I do not get to I am happy for the gift of time that I was able to spend with her before Europe. I'm praying for her from way over here.

Happy McNally Mom said...

How peaceful. Good for you girls for taking that time out just for you.