A Mayflower's Musings

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ruby's First Bad Cold


As I thought about it and wrote that title, I am feeling so blessed that Ruby has been so darn healthy. If my memory serves me right, she just experienced her first really bad cold this last weekend. It was a doozy too. She had a 103 temp all day Saturday and that was with tylenol and ibuprofen in her system at full dose. She laid on me and we rocked pretty much the whole afternoon and evening. I even made myself a bed by her crib that night (I used Daphne's mattress, and Daphne slept with Mike). I slept there keeping watch the whole night. She was coughing so much and I knew I would have to keep up her meds all night anyway. She alternated the night in her crib and laying on me ...it reminded me of the newborn days.


Early in the day, I couldn't help but enjoy the fact that she only wanted me and that meant I had to stay in my rocker most of the day watching movies. But by the evening I was definitely beside myself with worry as she just lay there in my arms, burning up and breathing so hard. I don't care how many babies this mom has - - I still felt led to call the on-call doctor. It's probably because luckily, my kids have been super healthy and I forget the rules about when to come in etc ...and maybe it's just me.


We ALL skipped church the next am and laid around recuperating from the big tiring night of rallying around our Ruby girl. And then spent even the next two days at home resting her.


I have to say that those days of playing nurse to our children can be some of the most intimate and memorable ones. I feel like my LOVE gauge for them jumps up a few notches and gives me the extra energy needed.



2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh the poor thing. You are such a good mom to look at the positive side of the sitution. Good for you!

Sara said...

Poor Ruby! I hope you are all better by now. I know what you mean about loving those tender moments, even when you're worried sick about a sick child.