A Mayflower's Musings

Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Reflective Child

On Monday, Ruby was still running a fever, so we were going on the third day in a row of being at home. Fortunately for us the weather was on our side. While Ruby took a long morning nap, the girls and I took the easel outside, along with some other fun toys to play with at the outside table.

Maisie was painting, Daphne was playing quietly at the table, and I was sitting across from her, working on filling in my calendar. Daphne says, "So...I'm still having some problems with life." Just like that...bam...a reflective, not burdened feeling in her voice. Thus, I say, "What problems are those honey?", just dying to hear the rest of this conversation. She says very matter-a-factly, "Well, you know problems with jealousy....and you know what I mean about that." ( I do. Nothing huge, just has a hard time when Maisie gets to do things she doesn't etc - we're working through it when it comes up.) I nodded my head, tickled inside that she is recognizing the error in her way - I mean gosh darn it, when she cries because Maisie is spending the afternoon with Grandma Julie ALONE - - why should I have to remind her that she got to go to Disneyland for 4 days ALONE with mom and Grandma Pam just weeks ago.

Then, I said, "what other problems Daphne?" And she said, "Well, quitting sucking my thumb." Once again, nothing new to my ears..she is mightily stressed about having to do this. So, I say, okay, anything else..?" To that she replies, "Nope, just two things." Pause. "Just two things left to solve."

Right away, it made me think how all of us "big kids" are still trying to overcome our own jealousies...and letting go of certain comfortsin our lives, when they are no longer good for us. And don't we go about our days knowing in the back of our heads that there are still some things left to solve?!!!

I think Daphne may have a head start on solving some of them or maybe she will be like her mother, super conscienteous, almost to a fault. But regardless I would rather have her worrying about being a better person than not caring at all.

4 comments:

February Jill said...

What a sweet thing! Sometimes I really cannot believe the things these girls say!

I love her sensitivity towards self-improvement. How many 5 year old are like that???

Jill

Rachel said...

I could just eat her up! I love it!! And the fact that she see's the problem and knows she needs to do something about it is just so darling. Lets hope she grows up to be so direct about all her problems!

crystalkupper said...

I wish I only had 2 things left in life to solve...

Our great adventure said...

So sweet! It is so fun and also fascinating to watch how our kids minds work!