A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We're Going to Miss This...










(this is Maisie, not Ruby!)







It's a strange thing, but I don't listen to music much in the car. The kids are either watching a video if its a trip out of town, we're chatting and pointing at exciting things outside, or listening to some great kids praise music cds. So, when I watched a country music show the other night, I was really enjoying getting caught up on some new songs. I copied the lyrics here below - by Trace Adkins. Man it hit me - especially the part in the bold. I just had to share...







She was starin out the window of their SUV Complainin sayin I can't wait to turn 18. She said I'll make my own money. And I'll make my own rules. Momma put the car in park out there in front of the school. And she kissed her head, and said 'I was just like you'. You're gonna' miss this. You're gonna' want this back .You're gonna' wish these days Hadn't gone by so fast. These are some good times. So take a good look around. You may not know it now. But you're gonna' miss this. Before she knows it she's a brand new bride. In her one bedroom apartment And her daddy stops by He tells her it's a nice place. She says, 'It'll do for now' Starts talkin' about babies, and buyin a house. Daddy shakes his head And says baby just slow down Cuz' you're gonna' miss this. You're gonna' want this back. You're gonna' wish these days Hadn't gone by so fast. These are some good times. So take a good look around. You may not know it now But you're gonna' miss this. Five years later there's a plumber Workin' on the water heater. Dog's barkin', phone's ringin' One kid's cryin' one kid's screamin' And she keeps apologizin'. But he says they don't bother me. I've got two babies of my own One's thirty- six, one's twenty- three. Huh, it's hard to believe, But you're gonna' miss this. You're gonna' want this back. You're gonna' wish these days Hadn't gone by so fast. These are some good times, So take a good look around, You may not know it now, But you're gonna' miss this.



There's power in truth and I know in my gut that:



I'm going to miss this,

I'm gonna want this back.

I'm gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast.

These are the best times.

I need to take a good look around.

I do know it now...and I'm going to miss this!

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Great moments! That song almost makes me like country music--almost!

I spoke at MoPS on Tuesday and I was struck by the realization of how far I've come since having infants and toddlers running around my house. It really does go fast~and sometimes that's a good thing! : )

I'm so glad that you're appreciating these moments! Not every mother can at this stage of parenting. Kudos to you!!

Glory Laine said...

Man, you found some great old pictures. I'd always wished we'd gotten a better one of the three of them in the football/cheerleader costumes. Thanks for the encouragement and memories.

Anonymous said...

Time really does slip by quickly. I sometimes marvel at my family because it seems like they are growing up in the blink of an eye!

Angela said...

Great pictures!

momaof4 said...

Love that song!

So true.

Unknown said...

Those really are great lyrics! Makes you think...and cherish every minute! Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay said...

I love that song, too. Even though everytime I hear it I have big tears rolling down my cheeks!
It says it so well.

Anonymous said...

Aw, those are great photos!! I LOVE that song, it's been on my "space" for a few months now. It always makes me cry, but it's such a good song!! Luv Char

crystalkupper said...

I've loved that song from the day it came out! I'm friends with a young married couple here in Mountain Home, and I visited the wife in her little apartment the other day. It looked just like ours when Nick and I got married -- nothing matched, boxes still out, everything generic and cheap -- and I felt like crying! I miss those days. We had each other and were so happy! :-)

Ona said...

Need that reminder every once in awhile.

Growing Good Golfers said...

Great reminder and great pictures. Thanks

Molly said...

Love these pictures. Super cute! Thanks for sharing. I agree about the missing. I posted back in July around Josiah's 13th b-day about this topic. Yep, I already miss those days, but I still have Sarah, for now.

Here's to enjoying each day God gives us with our family and friends. I'm so happy that we get to share enternity together.

Stacey said...

I love that song too! I tear up every time I listen to it. Great photos as well!

Lion Heart said...

Great lyrics! We wll miss this stage in our kids life. We'll probably miss every stage in their lives as they grow.

And soon they'll miss their childhood and the freedoms they had once before they themselves becme parents. (hope that made senese)

Good post. Savor these moments they begone before you know it.