A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Price on Sleep



In the last two weeks, Maisie has broken the zipper on TWO playpen tents. If you don't know what one of these are, you either were fortunate enough not to have any "climbers" or had your babies before these miraculous inventions came on the market.




Anyway...




Maisie broke the first zipper in the midst of a time out in her tent. She was of course not happy and was trying to stop me from zipping it up. So, I tried madly to fix it and to no avail, borrowed my brother's. He is one of the fortunates listed above, but had acquired one of these tents from a friend and is holding onto it just in case. Well, the same day I got the second tent all set up, she broke it's zipper too.




So this week I bought a third tent to replace my brothers. I will be able to use it until Maisie eventually moves into her big girl bed. I briefly thought about whether or not this was a good time to make that transition...but in the week plus a few days since we have been without, her naps have gone from 2-3 hours to 1 hour and she gets up around 5:45 - 6am instead of 7-7:30am. Like this morning when she woke up Ruby and Daphne and me at 6 am demanding her favorite breakfast of eggs. With the counsel of my mom, I came to the decision that I deserve a few more months of zipping in Ms. Maisie.




These tents cost 50-70 dollars depending on the deal. And yet, I dropped those coins fast, and anxiously await the day that the new tent arrives at my doorstep.





Maisie, if you read this someday, let me add that I know someday you will be like your dad. You will arise before the sun and do a whole variety of activities before the rest of the world even wakes up. And you will be rewarded for your energy and productivity. Your bundles of energy are also what everyone loves about you. But for now, mommy needs her rest and so do you!




7 comments:

Angela said...

The tent looks awesome! I

Have a great rest of the day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those days are tough ones. You have such great perspective, and are so positive about it. This too shall pass!

Get some rest, friend!

Lindsay said...

Hi Stefanie,

I found your blog thru Becca when you had Ruby (we went to high school together), and I pop over to see your darling girls every once in a while (hopefully that doesn't freak you out :) Anyway, just wanted to say I really identify with you on this post. My two youngest were total crib climbers, and it is so frustrating. I never had the tent thing, although it looks like a wonderful invention, and well worth the money!

I enjoy all your insight on parenting!

Sharon said...

My babies were B.T. (before tent). How in the world did I make it through? The things they make these days.....

February Jill said...

Oh Stef, the things we do for a little sleep! For them and for us. Good luck to us all and someday maybe we'll get some sleep again.

Rachel said...

You do deserve a few more months of zipping up that tent. I have my fingers crossed for you that this one holds up for as long as you need it to!

February Jill said...

Long live the crib tent!