A Mayflower's Musings

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Master Mom

This is a tribute to Mike's mom, Pam, in honor of her birthday.

I've been just waiting for the perfect opportunity to brag about my mom-in-law, Pam. She is completely one of the most talented women I know! And I am so blessed to have married Mike, because she is now one of my very best friends too.

One way she shows love to her "chicks", as she so dearly calls her sons, daughters, and grandchildren, is to make us all handcrafted treasures. Treasure is the right word too, because I am talking about items, so beautifully and meticulously put together, that they will pass the test of time and be lovingly adored by generations to come.

She is so humble too! I have my own sort of translation of Pam's critiques (she's a perfectionist of course)of her work:

1. If she says that "I am just so ashamed and embarassed of it and it may not be seen by anyone - I'm thowing it away!" - that means that it is wonderfully put together, and it would be most people's best work.

2. If she says that "It's alright...I'm disappointed in this part or that...It'll do." -that means that I can't find the flaw she is referring to, and that I can't wait to show it to my friends and display it in my home.

3. And if she says in her cute little squeal of excitement, that "I am really pleased with how it turned out!" - well then, you have to know that what she created is beyond perfection...because if Pam is pleased, then it's worth a million bucks.

So, Pam...thank you for all your hard work over the years. And not just for the things you have MADE all of us, but for all the special gifts you have given us too. You always take the time to find out what exactly we want, and learn exactly what makes us feel loved. From dressing me and my girls alike in Hanna Andersson dresses on Mother's Day, to hiring a cleaning lady after my first c-section, to helping take care of the girls whenever I need it and for all your lovely hand-made presents...I can't tell you how much you are loved!

Pam made her first two grandchildren's bumper pads...first adorning Daphne's

nursery, and then passed on to Maisie. I picked out the fabric and then

Pam did her magic.

After making the crib bumper, with the fabric we searched

high and low for...Pam found this matching chair in a Penney's catalogue.

And yes, she bought it for Daphne and brought it to us,

coincidentally the morning of the day I went into labor.

No Pam didn't make these frames, but

when Maisie was about to turn one,

she says to me, "Maisie won't know the difference, so

I want to buy her something for her brand new room in your new house,

so you just pick something out.

Of course I went straight to the Pottery Barn Kids catalogue....thanks Pam!"

Ruby's curtains - she whipped them out at my baby shower during

our designated "craft time".

My Christmas present last year!


Daphne's quilt

The pillows that match!

A closer look...

And although she was nervous to paint on Daphne's new walls, when I came

to her with the idea...she of course did it, and look how it turned out!

Pam's birthday is tomorrow, April 2nd. If you know Pam, or just love her work...leave her a b-day comment and that will make her day!


9 comments:

Hosmerita said...

I am a friend of Becca's and attend Court Street, and we have never met, but I love all the cute projects you have done for your Grandbabies!
Happy Birthday Pam!
-Kim Hosmer

Rachel said...

How wonderful to have such an amazing mother-in-law. Happy Birthday, Pam!

Sharon said...

I am always amazed at Pam's wonderful creations! I usually see how Becca benefits, but I'm so glad you showed off your treasures for us to ogle over, too! She's a wonder~they both are!

Speaking of, your father-in-law is roommates with my husband right now! : ) They are having a grand time!

Happy, happy birthday, Pam!!! I have a feeling Mike will bring you home something lovely since he's missing your special day~he's just that way! : )

Glory Laine said...

I'll post tomorrow some of my pam-treasures. Cakes, quilts, paintings, and more. She take me back to a time where humans were more creative and self sufficient. Now I pat myself on the pooring the contents of a can on the stove top instead of in the microwave. That's real cooking to me. Love you Pam. If I had a thousand magic wands I could have never dreamed you up.

Ona said...

Happy Birthday Pam. I as well go to CSCC and have not officially met you. I've heard wonderful things from Becca. My mom and grandmother share your birthday as well. A great day for great moms to have been born I guess.

crystalkupper said...

You're right; Aunt Pam is an amazing craft-happy woman! She's made lots for me over the years. I can only sigh and wish I had her (and your's and Becca's and Jill's!) crafting talents.

February Jill said...

Stef,
What a beautiful tribute to a thoughtful, sweet woman! Pam, Happy Birthday! Jill

momaof4 said...

Amazing!!
What a joy to have a mother n law that loves on you! (I am blessed with this too, but know some aren't)

Happy Birthday Pam!!!!!!

Angela said...

She is amazing! Awesome pictures of her talents!
Happy Bday Pam!