A Mayflower's Musings

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Merry Christmas EVE

When I was little I couldn’t imagine being anywhere but my grandparents house on Christmas Eve.  A zillion Christmas presents under the tree because well there was a LOT of kids.  A warm home cooked meal -  mostly made my Grandma.  Cookies and pies and pies and candies. And a lot of singing!  

It took me many years to get used to not doing that same tradition after I got married.  Today we are a far ways in years and miles from that tradition and even the newer tradition I have made with Mike’s family on Christmas Eve in Salem.  And the kids have noticed that although the calendar says December 24th it doesn’t quite feel like being at Grandmas house.

Right now we are ice skating with friends from home though-  Henry’s school teacher in fact.  Judy and Dave Ryan grew up in McCall and have lived in McMinnville for years but they come back to be with their family every Christmas so it’s fun that our paths cross today.

We will go grocery shopping so that I can make a big meal tomorrow at the cabin and out for burgers tonight at a restaurant!  We plan to watch a favorite holiday movie-  Eloise’s Christmas at the Plaza and frost cookies we made earlier today!

Different than usual but still blessed and beyond FUN!  Next year we will surely be back to our normal family traditions that we DO love but I believe my kids will remember this one forever.  As special.  I know I sure will!  









No comments: