A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advent Season (days 1, 2 and 3)

This year, along with many other moms I know, I'm being more intentional with teaching the girls the true meaning of Christmas and also including lots of traditional holiday fun too. We actually haven't even decorated and hung the official advent pockets yet because life has been TOO busy for my liking, but I have stuck true to starting Advent Season:).

So on day one the girls unwrapped this fun toy:



I should have bought it years ago because Daphne is a little past playing with it, but Maisie and Ruby adore it. Plus in searching for a picture to show you, I found out there are more pieces you can buy so I'm excited to add to it next year:) The best thing I did was play with them that day and interject all the real things that happened that special day. I want them to hold the angel and say, "To you a King is born!" What a teaching tool if you help them with it!

On the second day, we waited til after dinner to break out our first candy canes and discuss what they mean and watch The Legend of the Candy Cane together as a family. Maisie learned the word staff. We also have the book and will read it another day to reinforce this message:)



On the third day in this journey leading up to Jesus' birth, I told them that this was our day of "visiting". Just like the shepherds and wise men did that special day, we were going to visit some loved ones. I took Daphne out of school early and we headed to my G and G's house for lunch and play. They are 83 and 82 and so healthy and pleasant to be with. Grandma makes Daphne's favorite meal - tuna fish sandwich, complete with ruffles, pickles, and cheese and summer sausage sliced up real pretty and crystal light. Of course there were chocolates and jelly beans in crystal dishes that they can't keep their little hands out of! They already were completely decorated for Christmas - even outside lights. Can you believe their health?! I'm in awe everytime we visit. And the best part is that when we leave and I start to clean up the girls' messes, my Grandma always says, "Oh don't do that....we'll do that when you leave, it's no problem." Plus there's the handing out of dollars from Grandpa in return for a goodbye hug. I love them so much.

Then we headed to my other 80 plus year old Grandma's house a little drive away. We took our favorite American Girl movie (Samantha) and watched it all snuggled around Grandma's living room. She made us popcorn and again the chocolate came out. My girls were in sugar heaven. They all left with a treasure from Grandma, and mine was a full heart for sure. We awed over farm houses all decorated for Christmas on the dark ride home and listened to Christmas music on the radio.

I loved our day of "visiting" the most so far. You have got to do it with your kids, even if it's to a care home because relatives are far away.

Now my hope is that we'll get to the "decking of our halls" this weekend. First I have to stop blogging and get to cleaning!

2 comments:

1pureheart said...

Hi Stefanie! Thanks for the posts on my blog! I'm so glad Darci told you to check it out. You have some great ideas too and I love checking out others blogs! Thanks for sharing! Melissa

February Jill said...

You're doing a great job Stef! We are enjoying it even without great organization.