A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, September 18, 2010

I HEART Blogging...


Every once in awhile I run into someone who asks me if I am on Facebook. When I answer no, I get a gasp and the immediate question of- "Why in the heck not?..."That's how people communicate these days...What a bummer!" etc etc.

Although I hate to have to justify such life decisions - to me, it's an easy peasy answer, coming from a very indecisive person. I have no time for that. I'd rather blog. When I take the time to blog I am investing in so many things. First, I love to record this Mayflower's life stories, especially in this time period of my life. Because I want to remember all the little things of my childrens growing up years, especially to reread in the days when they are all grown up! Also, I love to write - it's therapeutic and fun and rewarding - plus a few people out there actually respond to my memoirs.

I so wish I was blogging back when Daphne was born! I started the year she turned 4 - four wonderful years that went blog-less. Fortunately I did a wee bit of "old fashioned" writing back then - - writing to only one audience, myself, in efforts to remember some of the special moments. Because it's hers and Maisie's birthday month, I'd like to share a couple stories here:




My precious Daphne Rose,

There were moments in your first days of life, when I was so overwhelmed with such utter joy, that the world seemed to stop turning, and only you and I existed. Because I don't ever want to forget those special times that we shared I am writing them down today. You are almost 17 months now and we just had one of those moments, which made me realize I needed to stop procrastinating and sit down and compose...

The first one I will write about, happened your very first day of life outside of my womb. We were in the hospital, and it was only you, me and Daddy in the room. Our huge string of excited visitors had not started quite yet. I think the nurses had recommended that I lay you on my bare chest, in order to get you ready for nursing. Luckily, we have a picture of this moment, because it was our first really intimate cuddle! You felt so good up against me and I didn't want it to end. Unfortunately, it didn't last long enough for my liking, because the visitors started coming and they wanted to hold you too. But, I'll always remember how good it felt to hold you so closely and to know you were mine.

When you were only a week old, your daddy had to leave us alone to go help a friend. I was still feeling a little nervous about being a good mommy to you, so at first I didn't want him to go. But, after he left, I sat on the couch with my legs stretched out along it and my back against the armrest. I put you on my chest and spread one of your bigger blankets over you and surprisingly it fit over my legs too. It was one of my first moments of confidence, when I felt completely sure that you and I were okay and I could relax.

One October day it was super stormy outside. I put on a classical music lullabies for babies cd and kept all the lights on dim. I danced you around the dining room, trying to sooth your little bit of fussiness. Then we parked on the sofa and just listened to the music. I was so overjoyed about being a stay at home mommy for you. I knew right then that we were going to have a lot of special moments together and I was especially excited about the upcoming holidays. For the first time since my childhood, I would be able to be at home throughout the whole season and really enjoy everything with you.

This week we celebrated your 2nd birthday sweetheart. You have grown up so fast right in front of our happy eyes. You are talking in sentences and sing a lot of short songs (in tune)! You want to sit in "big girl" chairs, rather than your high chair and like to make all the choices throughout our day all by yourself too. You are so spirited ~ sometimes your daddy and I struggle with your assertive nature. We are working so hard on you saying please and thank you, without a prompt from us. But even though you are growing into a big toddler, you still love to be held by your mommy and sometimes Daddy when your mood is just right. I love our snuggle times, and when you look at me and say, "Mommy and Daphne - friends" or "We family".



There's lots more, but I'll stop there. I'm going to go spend some quality one on one time with my little girls as I tuck them in for the night. The days and years are flying by...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I am on facebook...but my HEART belongs to my blog! And isn't it funny that I started when Sawyer turned 4 too...and wish so much I had started sooner...especially when I'm writing down all that Reed has done.
I so enjoy reading your posts!

Angela said...

I appreciate the blog so much more than Facebook!