A Mayflower's Musings

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Daphne's Big Day (part 1)






Today is Daphne's 7th birthday AND her first day of 1st grade! I don't know which fact is more exciting to us!! We love birthdays and we love milestones and we love school days here at the Riddle household!

It's also really special, because I taught 1st grade. I remember my first day of teaching SO vividly. I don't think I have ever been so nervous and scared in my life! I couldn't believe that I was about to have 20 some 6 year olds under my care. I went to the restroom one last time that morning before they opened the doors and I took a big breath and said a prayer and faced the challenge.

Daphne didn't seem scared at all this morning. She was so thrilled to be turning seven and also to be going back to school. We took in all the supplies and the birthday treats this morning! She found her seat next to a good friend of hers and that was that. No tears for either of us, and me and the little girls were off to the gym.

It did seem strange to go on with our day so matter of factly. I felt like I deserved some badge and a day off for getting her to this point in her life and for getting out the door on time too! (She and I had to start straightening her hair at 6am...)

The best part is yet to come though. Her dad is going to pick her up at 2:30 and whisk her away to the big city mall for the biggest surprise of her life - getting her ears pierced. She has no idea! Then the rest of us will join them later for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I cannot wait and will have more pictures of our big girl to come!

What a wonderful day! I love you Daphne Rose!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love the pictures! So fun to get to walk into the first day of school with great friends. It really helped relax Gabby! Hope Daphne has a great birthday.

Love,
Cori

Glory Laine said...

EEEEKKK! I'm so excited for them and us in this new stage. We'll call her later to sing to her.

crystalkupper said...

I thought about her this morning when I woke up! Happy birthday Daphne!

Rachel said...

What a fun birthday...the first day of first grade!!! She looks fabulous and I'm sure she's going to love her surprise!

Angela said...

How can they be growing up so fast!?!

Love seeing all the pictures!