A Mayflower's Musings

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Little Ms. Independence


I'm going spend some time documenting what Daphne, Maisie and Ruby have been "up-to" these last few months. This week I shall try to describe everything that a 40, 50 and 60 year old Stefanie, will want to remember about what made Daphne so very special when she was 6 and 1/2.

Tonight it's just a funny story that demonstrates the independent/capable/responsible qualities that have truly made up Daphne's character from day one.

With more daylight stretching our days just recently, the kids and I have been outside more. Tonight Daphne just wanted to stay outside even when I was ready to come inside. I was dying to take a bath, and I decided it would be okay to let Daph stay in the backyard while I took the little girls upstairs. I put Ruby in the bath with me to keep a much needed eye on her 2 year old self, and let Maisie hang out in the bathroom and my bedroom.

Needless to say it wasn't a relaxing bath, but on the mommy scale it was still a bit enjoyable:). Pretty soon Daphne was standing in the bathroom doorway with a plastic garbage sack.

She says to me, "Mom...I've got some good news and some bad news". I started imagining the worst. Immediately she continues with her "news" with a proud smirk on her face..."The bad news is that it smells really bad, but the good news (wait for it) is that I cleaned up all of Gus' poop in the backyard". And she proceeds to walk towards the bath with the sack and wants to prove it to me! Unfortunately I didn't praise her for her work straight away, but gave immediate directions to take it and dump it in the outside garbage! She kinda frowned and said, "but mom aren't you so glad that you don't have to do it now?" And I did a mom sort of backtrack and praised her, with a little advice to never bring it in the house again"

Now this is a funny story of her independence, but I have to say that I take her for granted all the time. She has been showering, washing her hair, brushing and moussing her hair all by herself for at least a year and a half and just in the last few months does her own hair too. She also has took on a daily ritual of a "morning run" once she is already for school. She does the cul-de-sac a couple times, stopping mid-way to pray and then back home again.

She truly is our little ms. independence - I'm so very proud of this characteristic in her!

2 comments:

crystalkupper said...

I've always thought Daphne would go far in life....probably because she's most like me out of your children and I have a slightly-inflated ego. :-) Love that girl!

Unknown said...

What a sweet girl. I can't believe she brought the poop to the bathroom to show you, I actually laughed out loud on that one. I'm sure you did not. Send her over to my house, she is MORE THAN WELCOME to pick up our doggy's poo!