A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Fifth Tally


It's late and I really want to share great pictures of our Spring Break...but I'm getting oh so sleepy. So alas, I leave you my last thought of the day because I think it shall become my life's mantra. Or at least my own little private joke when I start to get too hard on myself.

Lately, in my newest line of work, I do a lot of tallying. Over and over and over, it's line, line, line, line and then the much anticipated diagonal slat. Tonight I realized that I always get excited about the fifth tally. It's a little different than the other motion and it touches all the other lines. There's also an air of importance about it.

That's when the epiphany rang out like Easter Hosannas in my heart. I've been striving all my life to be one of the nice looking straight standing lines. Looking back now I can see that I have manipulated my looks, sometimes opinions, my methods and even my handwriting to follow suit with the "up and down" lines.

And you know what - it has been exhausting!

I'm realizing that I am at my very best (sob) when I can stretch out and lean in and cross over the other "lines". Because I'll never be one to finish all my dishes before I can allow myself a quick call to a friend that suddenly comes to mind. And I'll put off laundry if a wooden cross needs to be built for our church Easter Service and it's the right thing to do to keep my father in law company and fed while he volunteers his service. And sometimes a little closet needs to be painted when the straight lines in life wouldn't ever venture into such a messy project.

I like being good at lots of things, and not perfect at one thing. And I enjoy touching all you other lines.

I will most likely always fight my tendency to go this other direction, but tonight I am resting in the knowledge that I am for sure a fifth tally!

(Tomorrow when I deal with my fifth tally of a little girl, I am going to praise her for leaning in a little)

5 comments:

crystalkupper said...

My mother will give you all sorts of praise for this revelation. I haven't yet learned this lesson unfortunately, but I'm sure I will some day. :-) Good for you and I think you're perfect!

Our great adventure said...

Thanks stef! Its great to find what matters most together! I know I don't see ya much these days but I feel like we're still connected! At least through blogging! Miss you!

Glory Laine said...

Wow! What a great analogy! You are also the one to connect us. You have a great way of bring everyone together.

Anonymous said...

WOW! The 5th tally. I really enjoyed that. I am a 5th tally who struggles to be the straight line a lot of times. Thank you for sharing. Oh, and, you don't know me, I'm one of Crystal's friends.
Blessings to you.
Delecia
(-:

February Jill said...

Stefanie,
I truly think that this is the type of idea that with some developing for length could be sold to a women's magazine. So many women struggle with this type of wondering if they are enough or making the right choices with their time. A wide audience would eat this up. Good stuff.

Jill