A Mayflower's Musings

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Thanksgiving to Remember

This Thanksgiving we went away ~ just us. All alone. We missed our family a lot, but we loved our family time so much.

For so many reasons I have fallen in love with the town to which we escaped. It's beyond scenic - out of a magazine perfect...in fact it is featured in magazines every once in awhile. And my in-laws, so conveniently, or should I say, strategically, bought a second home there. We all call it our cabin.

But I think beyond the beauty and the traditions we have when we are visiting ~ it's the fact that our own little family (just the five of us) are able to use it as a real, genuine getaway. We actually lived there for 6 weeks, when Maisie was Ruby's age. I think it was my time there those long weeks that made me fall so hard. There's no cell service or internet at the cabin, and we're so far away from home, that no small emergency would call us home.



It's all about rest, slowing down, taking in God's wonderful creation and remembering why we love one another so much. I mean for goodness sake, I even got Mike to help me with a puzzle while we were there. I barely get him to sit down around here, let alone try to make sense of a million pieces that are supposed to fit together to make artwork.


And now we're home, and I could never express all the feelings I felt on this last trip ~ OR bring home the wonderful smells so intoxicatingly cozy...but alas I have to share our pictures.






















































We are refreshed now ~ and just in time for the busiest time of the year, right?! And although I couldn't live at the cabin for all my days, and can't live "cabin pace" all my days either, I came home ready to implement some changes in our usual pace to make things more enjoyable and peaceful here too. I want to be able to do a puzzle every once in awhile in my own home, and play GO FISH at least once a day when my preschooler asks, and I want to cut back on the amount of toys and clothes around here, so I'm not cleaning up and doing laundry all day too. I want to turn off the tv and phones occasionally...

Just breathe.




10 comments:

Candi said...

Most excellent blog, a good reminder to yourself and all of us to slow down and enjoy the journey of life all along the way. So glad you were able to have this wonderful reprieve from the everyday business of life, and to drink in the beauty of nature. I do have one question though: how do you manage the loooong car drive over with the three girls?

crystalkupper said...

We have pictures of us out on that boat dock, too! :-) Glad you had a good time.

Judy said...

Okay, I think it's a requirement that if you live there, you MUST have those moose dishes! Ha! Ha! My MIL and my SIL both have them. A mountain thing, I guess. :) So glad you guys had an awesome time.

Unknown said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful time! I love Ruby's hair, its getting curly! How fun there was snow!

Growing Good Golfers said...

Sounds wonderful!

Tara said...

So glad you got to get away. Those are good times and all of that quiet is good for you and Mike and the kids. What great memories you are making. Welcome Home!

Rachel said...

It sounds like you had a great time in McCall! I love that you guys had snow to play in! I hope you are able to implement your new ideas!

Angela said...

What a great time!!!
Love those pictures...and thank you so much for my treat! :)

Happy McNally Mom said...

First off, I LOVE the Christmas picture.
I'm so glad you guys had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving. God is so good to give us those special times to just sit back and take in His beauty.

February Jill said...

I didn't even think about the fact that there is snow over there right now! Lucky you, snow for Thanksgiving.

And amen to less kids clothes and toys!!!