A Mayflower's Musings

Friday, December 12, 2008

A Lot of Goings Ons After Thanksgiving...

It has taken great discipline to NOT blog these past two weeks. So much has been going on - from cleaning, to decorating, to parties...and I have wanted to stop and share them all, but alas there is ALWAYS laundry, dishes and diapering that seems to NEED me first. Yuck.

Well, today, I announced that I was going to do something for myself, rather than the mound of dishes in the sink. So, prepare yourself for a big "catching you up" post - - it doesn't really all mesh.

Number One:

Remember my goal to purge after our cabin trip? Well purging takes organization and I found myself wanting to centralize all our books again. Kid books that is...so this is the little song that I sang as I did this task:

"How many books, does an old teacher collect? If an old teacher never stops collecting books?" (to the tune of how much wood can a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood)

















Number Two (this is for Jill):




I made an official "word wall" for Daphne to hang in our dining nook. I made it look awfully cute with Martha Stewart papers. Daphne likes to sit at the kitchen table and "write", and has started wanting to spell and memorize certain words too. So we write them on index cards, she decorates them a tiny bit (not to cover the word tho) and hang them for future reference. This is something I used to have in my classroom, so if you have any questions let me know and I will elaborate. It's fun to cut text from print like magazines and newspapers too.



Number Three:

This year we have a Christmas Room, not a decorated house. Ruby stays corralled in our undecorated living room, and our dining room is our pretty spot. I love how it turned out.





13 comments:

crystalkupper said...

It's all beautiful. Just got your Christmas card in the mail today! Jack loves books and he's starting to imitate everything we say. He'd have a ball at your house!

Tara said...

Stef...I love the idea of a Christmas room. What a great idea. It looks great. Love the red background on the blog, too. Thanks for catching up with me the other night. I want to get together over break and talk about other stuff (not about me, that is) :). Love you!

momaof4 said...

Love it! And a teacher old or new or not a teacher at all, can not have to many books!!!!

Happy McNally Mom said...

I love your home. How beautiful. Tell me more about the letter board.

Lynn said...

Wow, your Christmas room looks GREAT! Oh, and you don't have to be a teacher to LOVE books, I have all of mine from when I was a kid and the collection keeps growning! :)

Candi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candi said...

I understand about the books. It's hard not to keep on adding to the collection! I've tried to keep my kids' books until they have kids of their own, then pass them on to the next generation. Elsa seems to like looking at her Daddy's books from when he was little.

Glory Laine said...

Love this post. Love how the Christmas room turned out. Love all the books.

Growing Good Golfers said...

Been missing your post! Your house looks great.

sam said...

Hi Stef,

I really loved your Christmas card! It was hard to decide which to put on the fridge. We ended up with the matching outfit photo. Now everyone who comes over HAS to know who the little girls are!!

I can't believe Ruby has all those teeth. Natasha (2/15/08) only barely has her bottom two!

Love, Sam

February Jill said...

I am so glad to see a shot of your word wall because I just couldn't picture it in my head. I think we'll be doing that too very soon!

Your tree looks a lot like mine! I think we must have similar taste!

Jill

LizzyG said...

I love your stockings! And books are the one thing I have a hard time getting rid of. I'm constantly getting rid of clothes and toys, but the books are another story!

Unknown said...

Your Christmas room is so pretty and I love your themed red tree! Is the tiny stocking at the end Ruby's? How cute!