A Mayflower's Musings

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

On the Eve of our First Camping Trip







Tomorrow just the five of us are embarking on our first camping trip! We took Daphne back when she was one, but she doesn't remember it, so it doesn't really count as a family trip:)

The girls and Mike are so excited it really is adorable! I too am anxious to get away for a few days before school resumes. But I don't get excited fully until all the preparations are done.

So this evening I've made:

1. Peanut butter cookies
2. Lasagna
3. Marinated chicken
4. Potato Salad (first time ever!)
5. Cut up watermelon

Earlier today, I took the girls to WalMart and Winco for big shopping. It was NOT pleasant at all - especially with my two year old. I had promised the girls our third stop would be the video rental place. I hoped they would watch a movie while I began the cooking prep for our trip. I was so fed up with #3 (poor thing was SO ready for her nap), that I gave Daphne my card, cash and sent her into the store alone to pick out the movies all by herself. Granted, I was parked right in front of the store, and had already put her name on our account prior (just in case of this exact situation). But still, she and I were both so proud.

Tonight I put them to bed and did the bulk of the cooking.

I'm in complete mommy heaven ~ a family outing just a day away, and Ruby and Daphne tucked in together for the first time in Ruby's queen size bed. That's another story in itself, but I think they are on the brink of sharing a room together. Daph even moved in her clothes tonight. They are so alike!

Ahh for raising little girls that can't wait to camp. I just packed their new pink camo hats:)

5 comments:

crystalkupper said...

Have you ever heard of FreeRange Parenting? You should check it out sometime: www.freerangekids.com. Lenore Skenazy, the founder of this parental movement, would be so proud of you for the video store incident!

Angela said...

Have a GREAT time!

Growing Good Golfers said...

Have fun! Can't wait to hear how it goes with all three. I'm too chicken to attempt that yet. Maybe next summer...

Candi said...

Hope you have a blast! The memories will be a treasure for sure. Looking forward to a post and pictures after you get back home :-)

Rachel said...

I wish I was as good as you are about food for camping. I just go to the store on the way up and buy food then!
Also, with an almost 2 year old in my house...I miss cooking!!! He is not a tv watcher, so he wants to help the whole time...I figure in a couple of years I'll get back to it.
Hope camping was fabulous...I'll have to steal your idea about sending Sawyer in to the movie store by herself!!