A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, May 3, 2010

Heartbreak






I'm eating my recent advise. Remember the quote - "settle in the past". That seemed so "dandy" last week, and this week I'd like to squeeze those words into a pulp.

How do you "settle" when you lose someone you weren't ready to lose?

How do you "settle" when you didn't get to say all you wanted to say?

How do you "settle" when it hurts and nothing can make it feel better?

How do you "settle" when it doesn't seem fair?



These are some of my feelings tonight after seeing my dad's body for the last time. I feel like the little girl inside of me is the one taking over and I won't be "settled" until I get a fatherly hug one more time, or a phone call that makes everything okay.

I don't even have a better quote to replace that old one right now.

I guess it just feels good to write.

4 comments:

crystalkupper said...

Of course it does, Stef. You have every right to feel this way and it's totally normal. Only you know how you feel right now, so try to be okay with that. Holding you up in prayer, cousin. We love you!

momaof4 said...

Stephanie, I wish I could say it gets better. I lost my Dad just 4 years ago, suddenly. None of us expected it at all. There will be day's your heart wishes he was still here, still setting up the Christmas tree, still washing the dishes after big family meals, still taking your kiddo's out on dates. But I just hold on to that they are so much better in Heaven, healthy, carefree, worshiping our wonderful God at his feet. Someday we will see them. But it will not come fast enough. Praying for you friend.

Stacey said...

I'm so sorry to hear your news, Stef. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

Stef I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had something wonderful I could say to you to make it all better. I have been thinking of you and although we have never actually met in person, if you need anything I would be glad to help you.