A Mayflower's Musings

Friday, April 30, 2010

I Miss You


My dad passed away yesterday. Although he had been sick for about as long as Daphne is old, his death came unexpectedly. We rest in the fact that he died in his sleep, and that he is no longer in pain.

But, gosh darnit, my family is struggling in sadness right now. I just wish I could tell him I love him one more time, and that he had so many gifts that were not given enough praise.

Here is a poem that we found at his house yesterday:

You should have known me then

Summer days spent at the pool

Hiding in a forest glen

Entertaining when I could


Riding with the light brigade

Chasing friends down the lanes

Sleeping on a windswept beach

Measuring the losses and the gains


Loves that came and never left

Carried still within my breast

Christmas Eves without a frown

Living in a tiny town


Watching and learning from them that know

A fireplace and silent snow

Always wondering when to go

So hard to say goodbye…





I think I knew this already, but today, I have been reminiscing on the truth of where a lot of my creativity comes from. He was a writer, a painter, a sketcher, a photographer, and a lover of music and film.

Hold on to your loved ones.

13 comments:

Candi said...

I am so sorry for your loss, and words are hard to find at such a time as this. You and your family will be in our prayers and we're thankful that our loving Father will hold you close and comfort you.

Anonymous said...

I love you so much Stef.
Char

crystalkupper said...

Wow, I had no idea your father was sick. I'm so sorry for your loss. May all these memories bring you comfort right now as your heart heals.

P.S. Thanks for showing me what Daphne will look like in a few years.

Sarri said...

Oh Stefanie, I am so sorry. You and your family will definitely be in my prayers.

Les said...

I love you Steffie! You are a great sister! We LOVE you Dad! I know he's smiling down on us right now!

Glory Laine said...

((a big cyber hug))

Renee Davis said...

Hi Stephanie. I got your blog info from Charity :-). I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and your family. I am praying that healing will be quick and comfort will come now! I know what you are going through and know how you must be feeling. Believe me when I say that with love and time you will be okay again :-).
You have such a beautiful family!
Love, Renee Davis (Woolen)

Erica Brown said...

Hi Stefanie and Harper Family! I have great memories of you Dad and your family at Great-Grandma's house in Sheridan and he will be missed. We are praying for you and looking forward to seeing all of our cousins next weekend at Jessica's wedding. Love ERica

Sara said...

Truly, deeply sorry, Stef! Big hugs and prayers for you and your sweet family.

Happy McNally Mom said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Please know that I will be praying for you during this very hard time.

Our great adventure said...

I love you stef! I'm praying for you guys this week!

Pam T. said...

Dear Stefani, I am praying that God will totally engulf you in His love and peace. I am so sorry about the loss of your dad. It has to be tough. You will be in my prayers in the days ahead, too.

Tara said...

Oh, man. That stinks. I am so sorry, Stef. Sorry for you and the girls, especially Ruby. Glad you are writing. It does help to process things. Hugs to you. I will continue to pray for you and your family that you may be comforted. Love you.