A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tragedy in my home town...




This is Alma. Just 22 years old. A mother of a 2 year old. Obviously a stunning girl. She passed away very unexpectedly this week, after having a seizure. Her dear sister and roommate found her. What a tragedy and sorrowful week...my words cannot explain the sadness felt by so many.

She belonged to a well known and loved family in the community I grew up in. She was the fifth of their eight children. Their mother taught about all the little girls who enrolled in tumbling and dance classes at the community center in the 80's and 90's (including my sister and I). With eight kids their family knew and was loved by many classes of kids and teachers in the school district.

I attended the funeral today and I was so saddened by their tragic loss and moved by the outpour of love and support. I got to see so many people I hadn't seen in a long time...and I wondered why it had to be such a sad happening to bring us all back together again.

Please pray for the Acosta family this next week, months.... I can imagine it is going to be even harder for them as they have to leave one another and head back to life...

Tonight I can't not think about something their loving family taught me. And I'll have to backtrack a little bit...I've been wrestling with the question of whether our family is done or if God has another child waiting for us. I've been plagued with the fears of not being able to give enough to so many kids, that I might be cheating my three daughters in some way or another, and what it would mean for our family now and in the future. I still don't have an answer - but I do know now that it can be done and done so lovingly. Those brothers and sisters are so close and they all take care of one another.

I was blessed by their togetherness.

5 comments:

Sarri said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm thinking that is Luz's sister as well? (Luz taught at Grandhaven a few years back.) It has to be. That is just heart wrenching. :(

crystalkupper said...

Wow, she is beautiful, and so is her little boy. That's what breaks my heart the most. I can't imagine how hard it would be to listen to him ask for his mother, not understanding that she's never coming back. Prayers for the Acostas will definitely happen today.

Candi said...

Prayers will be offered up on their behalf. Her family taught you many lessons, most you didn't even realize you were learning, so she helped leave you a legacy of love and caring, of family and togetherness. Ther coming days will be difficult, but with God's help and the love of family and friends, they will make it through.

Erica Brown said...

Hi Stef! I too struggle with the question if my family is complete. I had diffcult pregnancies. Allison arrived six weeks early and even though that strengthened Dave and I 's relationship it was hard to be torn between a hospital isolet in the NICU and a two year old who needed her mommy at home. My age is also something that weighs on me (Iam 40 and my husband is 46. We are blessed with two healthy daughters and sometimes I feel such sadness that there is not another one. So now my mind turns to Haiti and the thought of the orphans and all the kids here who need foster families. I am not sure what we will decide but I so know this....no matter what the love just grows. Take care!

Erica Brown said...

PS. Look what a great job your grandparents (Ed and Barb) did raising your mother and two aunts and two uncles....I have admired each of them my whole life and the relationship they have with oneanother!