A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, January 25, 2010

These Girls...



I've told you before about my cousins. These are two of them - Kayla Ann and Katelin Jean. Kate has dark hair and Kayla is fair complected. If my approximation is correct, Kayla is 14 years younger than me and Kate is 12 years. When I was growing up, they were MY babies whenever I was around them. Did I tell you too that I loved (love) babies? I rocked them to sleep, fought with my sister and best friend cousin about who got to cart them around, and even asked my aunt if I could keep one of their newborn diapers once because I treasured it's miniscule nature.

Fast forward to yesterday. Katelin is at a nearby college - almost an hour drive, but so worth it! She offered and we ACCEPTED to have the girls come play at her house for the afternoon. It was grand - both to have some time at home alone and to allow my girls some bonding time with Kate! They had fun - she took them all to the grocery store to gather cupcake materials (brave girl) and whipped up the tasty snack with them as one of their activities.

We had switched vehicles so that she could do the above trip. On the way home I was listening to one of her cds - sounded like she had made it. I was rocking out to Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, and Tim McGraw along with other love song crooners. I had to text her and tell her that I was enjoying it! She wrote back and said that her boyfriend Taylor had made it for her.

Is it strange that my first reaction was to listen to the songs again with the new knowledge that my baby cousin's boyfriend had picked each song out just for her. I began to have a roller coaster of emotions inside. First feelings felt were those of sadness that I'm soooo past the age of courting and mixed "tapes" - I felt old all of a sudden. Then those feelings were quickly replaced by memories of Katelin as a little one and how now she's taking care of my little ones and she has a boyfriend..sob sob sob - happy tears!

Needless to say it was embarassing to walk into her house a bit of a mess and her boyfriend and two other guy friends there to meet for the first time. I'm not sure they noticed but when I told Katelin about my experience in hushed tones she laughed and enveloped me in a younger sister to big sister sort of hug.

I'm so blessed! Love you Kate:)

1 comment:

crystalkupper said...

You must be the best relative in the world! :-)