A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, December 28, 2009

God's Handiwork

I stumbled across this interesting information about the Surinam Toad last night. I know I just posted today about Christmas...but I couldn't wait to share this with you. I am amazed and think you will be too.


First the male toad helps the female toad put all the eggs on her back:




Then the skin on the "mommy" toad's back grows around the eggs to conceal and protect them. They go through the tadpole stage UNDER her skin.

Then once they have become baby toads, they emerge from the holes on her back.


This awesome youtube video captures it best:


(I found these pics/video at a blog called origami 'n stuff 4 kids by Tammy Lee)

4 comments:

crystalkupper said...

"Toadally" cool, but kind of creepy at the same time. :-) There are some strange animals out there!

Candi said...

I'm with Crystal, cool, but very creepy. I wouldn't want to watch very long. Gross is another word that comes to mind.........

Tara said...

Super interesting! When I saw on my bloglist "God's handiwork" I was picturing something, well...girlie and pretty and pink and so Stefanie...NOT toads of all things. But seeing creation in such a way always brings me joy. Will have to share this with the boys.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!