A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Get rid of the candy and teach a lesson too!


















You're probably not like me. I worry about the whole Halloween candy thing. Half about not wanting the kids to have candy everyday for the next 6 months and 3/4 because my favorite thing in the world is candy and I cannot stop thinking about it if it is in the house. (okay my math is off, so that you get the point) Last year I let Daphne keep 10 pieces the morning after and then we threw the rest away and she bought a small toy in exchange. This year, I wanted to do the whole 10 pieces again, but it just seems silly to have to buy her a toy too. So, I went searching for somewhere to give this candy. I found the following information about sending a care package to our soldiers. This is going to be our goodwill project today! I think I will take them shopping for some of the personal care items on the list and then add our Halloween candy to the mix. I think Daphne will really get into this:)

Troop Care Package
The following is a list of suggested items that
our Soldiers could use.
***
Personal Care Items
Eye Drops
Chapstick, Carmax, Blistex
Shampoo/Conditioner (travel size)
Deodorant - Men and Women
Toothpaste (travel size), Toothbrushes, Dental Floss
Mouthwash (travel size)
Soap, Body Wash, Hand Sanitizer
Foot Powder
Lotion (small size)
Feminine Hygiene Products
Razors, Shaving Cream (in tubes) no aerosol
Travel Size Tissues
Baby Wipes
Baby Powder
Q-Tips
Tums or Rolaids
Tylenol, Advil, Sinus Meds
Gel Insoles


Food Items
Small bags or individually wrapped snacks or cans of Pringles, pretzels, cookies, crackers, nuts, trail mix, peanut butter/cheese crackers, sun flower seeds
Hard Candy (Lifesavers, Jolly Ranchers), Mints
Chewing Gum, Blow Pops
Individual servings of powdered drinks for water bottles such as Lemonade, Gatorade, Kool-Aid, Tang, Lipton To Go Tea, Crystal Light On The Go, energy drinks, Propel (powder)
Individual coffee, tea bags
Beef Jerky, Slim Jims (no pork allowed)
Pop Tarts, Nutri-grain, Granola, Cereal Bars, trail mix
Cups & small flip top canned fruit, applesauce, pudding
Peanut Butter (small) No Glass Please
Chocolate between the months of October and April only (M&Ms are acceptable)



Other Items
Crossword Puzzles
Playing Cards
Stationery & Envelopes
Pens/Pencils
Disposable Cameras
Assorted Greeting Cards for Soldier to send to family & friends
Journals
AT&T Global Prepaid Phone Cards
Batteries
DVDs, CDs
Video Games
Small board games
Flystrips
Febreze
Glade Stick-ups or room deodorizers
Small battery operated fan
Bug Repellent in lotions & pump-spray bottles-- NO AEROSOLS
Sun Screen



Mail to:
Georgia
HUGS FOR SOLDIERS
P. O. Box 2887
Duluth, GA 30096


TENNESSEE
HUGS FOR SOLDIERS
P. O. Box 532
Vonore, TN 37885

PS - On the same note as the above paragraph...How sad is it that I made WAY too many caramel apples yesterday and threw away 13 of them this morning! Oh, how it broke my caramel loving soul.

12 comments:

Angela said...

That is so cool! Have a great weekend!

Lindsay said...

That is a really great idea! I love it! Our MOPS group also does Operation Christmas Child every year and we always include candy in those shoeboxes as well.

Thanks for the excellent suggestion! (I think we'll do it, too! we have WAY too much candy!)

Growing Good Golfers said...

Wonderful idea. Last night was fun!

crystalkupper said...

You could have mailed those caramel apples to me! I would have eaten every single one of them! :-)

Rachel said...

The girls look great and what a wonderful way to share your candy.

Lindsay said...

You are AMAZING!! Thanks for the simple reminder :)

Happy November!

February Jill said...

I think that I am going to package up all of our candy and mail it to YOU!!!

Ha ha just kidding, but I did see a single portion package of Swedish Fish and think of you.

Where did this info come from?

Jill

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Hope you had fun putting together your care package!

Valerie of Momia said...

Love the idea!! And if you ever feel the need to dispose of something like a caramel apple, you may dispose of it in my mouth ;)

Grateful Disciple said...

Thanks for putting the address up there, I would love to do this as a family Christmas project.

LizzyG said...

Your girls look so adorable and theya are getting so big!

Way to go on coming up with a creative idea to dispose of the excesd candy. The one thing I've always disliked about Halloween is it tends to make kids focus on how much they can GET...It's great you can turn that around and help them focus on how much they can GIVE.

You're a supermom.!

Lion Heart said...

Next time you make carmel apples and have a few extra e-mail me and i'll com by for them :) good idea about the soilders.