A Mayflower's Musings

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

All Alone






Last week was just plain hard. My faithful readers already know most of the reasons. Excuse me if there are any boys reading (highly doubtful)...but on top of Maisie's new sleep conditions, my menstrual cycle arrived after 20 months of not knowing one, Mike had an extra busy end of the week/weekend, and my baby pulled a hot curling iron down onto her arm.
I was done. "Cash in my chips" sort of done. I had to get away, and no hour sitting at Starbucks would do - nor shopping at the mall or something of the like. I needed silence, alone time, solitude.
Blessed am I to have a little cabin getaway in the family just an hour or so away...and doubly blessed to have a husband push me out the door in complete understanding of my state of heart.
So I packed up after church on Sunday, and stopping at the last hamburger joint in town, I drove out of town with a chocolate milkshake in hand. After many songs sung at the top of my lungs, I arrived at our little riverside cabin at the coast. ALL ALONE.
I sat in two positions, shown in the pictures below. Green chair, leather couch. Magazines, book, and a rented movie all at my disposal to distract my frazzled mind.
And when dinner time rolled around, I drove to the little grocery store and bought whatever sounded good. Thus...the candy. (the lunchable was just to get in a little protein)
At 7pm, I packed up and bid farewell to my peaceful abode. Sad to leave, but newly refreshed, I said a prayer for my safety and set out on my return drive.
I highly suggest the following retreat to all my weary mom readers. Even if it is just your bedroom.
Things are still rough here with Ms. 5am Maisie, but I feel a little bit better. Both for your encouragement and my little trip.


13 comments:

Judy said...

Bless you, Friend! I'm so glad that you were able to get away for a few hours. We ALL need that from time to time. And while your last week does take the cake for being worse than mine, I am feeling a bit of your pain! Just on Saturday, at 2 years and 9 months, we moved Molly girl from her crib to a "big girl" bed. She wanted to so bad, but what were we thinking?! Ha! Ha! So far the pitter patter of little feet have graced our stairs far too often when they weren't supposed to. Oh boy, I already know we're in for a battle, aren't we?! :)

crystalkupper said...

I go running when I need to get away. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Redvines and a Lunchable for dinner? Now that sounds delicious!

Happy McNally Mom said...

I am so glad you were able to have a little time alone. It's amazing how when we just have a little peace and quite (and some junk food) we can feel so refreshed. I'm right there with you on the middle child being a handful. My little Brandan is awake and ready to take on the world everymorning at 5:30. It is exahuasting me.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you got some time to yourself! I can't imagine life with 3 children, as wonderful as it is, I'm sure its exhausting...but I must say you usually make it look so wonderful and easy. :)

LizzyG said...

Good for you Stefanie! I'm a bit envious, that cabin looks so inviting and the thought of being all alone, even for just on day, sounds so nice to me right now. I hope this week is much easier for you!

LizzyG said...

Oh and Jill, my motto is: If you're not cheating, you're not trying. Hmm...how many caramel macchiatos could I buy with $10?

Stefanie said...

Conversation about my blog post seen this morning while in office with me.

Ms Maisie says: Mom, that's not dinner. That's "zert" (dessert).

I say: Yes, but I ate it for dinner.

Ms. Mais. : Not all of it, though???!!!

I say: Yes, all of it!

Lindsay said...

May your week be full of beautiful moments where you can sing at the top of your lungs of HIS goodness, faithfulness and mercy!

I'm glad your day of {rest} was just what the DR. ordered!

Lindsay said...

That sounds like a little piece of heaven. Alone time is so needed sometimes!

Sarri said...

Sounds divine! I am so glad you were able to do it.

Angela said...

That sounds perfect!

Angela said...

Holy smokes you TOTALLY made my day!!!
Thank you so much my friend!!!!