A Mayflower's Musings

Monday, November 17, 2008

Fair Isle







I learned something tonight.


It all started earlier today when I decided that I wanted to buy the girls something new for our Thanksgiving vacation. Yes, we're headed to our family cabin for just a few days. Long enough to get away and enjoy just the five of us for awhile. Not many young families get the chance to do this, let alone have their parents bless it - all of ours think it is great. I am so excited about this mountain get away and keep imagining it in my mind....

fires in the woodstove, no tv - so movies, puzzles, a small turkey dinner, dips in the local hotsprings, and my girls sitting on a well known (to our fam) bench outside a favorite logcabin breakfast hotspot...

The last vision made me think that if they had on just the right outfit, and if I took enough pictures, I could get the perfect Christmas card shot.

And thus the mission was born. I've been searching Old Navy, Gap, Gymboree, Hanna Andersson etc. looking for cute sweaters or hats or coats. But I'm thinking I shouldn't spend a lot and it should be functional.

Well, all of these websites have collections named "Fair Isle", and I like them a lot. I decided to google it and found out it is an actual island - the smallest one in Brittain I believe. There must be more to it, but it's midnight and I'll stop my search there.


All I know is that I made a HUGE mistake in my final search. Yep, I just had to peek at Janie and Jack. Well, their Fair Isle is too much for words. And my husband (although a fan of Janie and Jack) would probably have a lot of words for me if I bought these clothes. So, I'll be very strong and just share with you.

Oh, and there were a lot more items to choose from...but you get the feel. Very pretty. And isn't it hard to imagine that these clothes would be like Walmart clothes for Suri Cruise. That's my last past midnight thought...






10 comments:

crystalkupper said...

I love sweater dresses on little girls! Just think, in the long run, you won't remember that you couldn't get them. You'll just think about how cute your girls were no matter what!

Candi said...

Suri Cruise has nuthin' on you and your girls! And what your kids will remember about their mountain getaway (and the Christmas picture) won't have anything to do with brand names. OK, end of lecture. You'll find the cutest outfits out there, I have now doubt. Have fun searching!

Judy said...

Jealous of your trip! Enjoy breakfast at The Pancake House! Did I guess right? Oh and the sweater dress? Um, TOO CUTE! Now I'm going to have to do a search of my own! Ha! Ha! :)

Angela said...

Have so much fun on your trip!

momaof4 said...

Love them!!!
I will have to send you some sites I found, no, I didn't even look at the prices of them. They are just to cute! :)

February Jill said...

What is the code name for the pancake house? Grandma's Place or something like that? Makes a place hard to find...

KLB said...

I hate not being able to buy whatever I want for Abby! I think about when I was young and seeing the other girls in the cool "in thing" everyone is wearing. I hope she does not feel left out when that time comes. That Suri girl better know how good she has it he hehe he

Molly said...

Uh...did you know that my latest e-mail from Janie and Jack had this line on sale? I know, I know, it's still pricey, but it is a sale. We went by this store the other day and I was so proud of myself because I didn't go inside. Have a great time away with your family.

Rachel said...

Your girls always look adorable, they are always in such cute clothes. I can see why you love this set! Ohhhh, what would we would buy for our children if money was no object!

Tara said...

That IS a cute outfit and I can imagine the Christmas photo with the girls in it, too. Maybe the sale price is worth it? Or...maybe they wear the cute T-shirts they were wearing at Maisie's BDay. Those were adorable! Have fun at the cabin. Can we hang out when you get back?