A Mayflower's Musings

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Busted!


Today Mike and I got a sitter and went to the movies. We are huge movie buffs and haven't been to a show since before Ruby was born. We were really excited to get some treats, sit back in the air conditioned theater and relax a little.

It always takes me a bit to settle into our date nights after running around and getting the house in order pre-date, going through the "check list" with the sitter, and then usually going through "the list" again in my head, as we drive away from the house. We just started leaving Ruby for short outs too, so it has added a tid more anxiety to our time away.

I know it is SO healthy for us to get out and be alone together. And we try to do it weekly. But, like I said, it takes me a bit to be the girlfriend again on our dates and not the mom of three etc...

It was about an hour into the movie, that I realized that Mike had his arm around my shoulder. We were enjoying the movie and I literally went "AHHH" this is nice and leaned into him a little more. I do get uncomfortable sitting in those seats eventually, and so ten minutes later, I readjusted my position and wanting to keep the cuddling going, I put one of my legs over his. Nothing hanky panky here folks, just comfy and enjoying our closeness.

A little later, one of the theater attendants came in and scouted the crowded theater - all 6 of us in there - and he got close to us, pointed and said something I couldn't understand. I just stared, wondering what the deal was. Mike must of heard and quickly removed my leg off of his. The teenager said thank-you and walked away.

Being one that hates confrontation of any kind and abides rules to the tee if possible, I sort of felt embarrassed at first. I don't think I heard the next 5 minutes of the movie's dialogue. But then a different feeling came over me. A really good feeling.

I'm a little tickled that ten years into our marriage we got scolded at the movies for being too close to one another. As we left the theater and took our date on to Starbucks for a drink outside, I felt younger and more alive.

Yes, these dates are important for keeping our love for each other always new and growing. And what a great story to laugh about in years to come.

16 comments:

Molly said...

Hi Stefanie,

Molly here. Finally I read your comment over on my blog. Thanks for stopping by. For now, I'm back in the blogging mood.

Great post. If there is one thing I struggle with it would be making time for dates with Gary. It's tough. Thanks for sharing your speical time out with Mike. I feel inspired to just make a date no matter how hectic things are. And maybe, just maybe we could get busted too, who knows.

Your girls are so adorable!

February Jill said...

What?? That is hilarious. Your legs can't touch during a movie nowadays?

Next time I think you should go for the full on make-out session!

Ona said...

Ahhhh...that is so sweet!

Judy said...

How funny! I love it! (though I must admit, I didn't know where that post was going--think I started to blush! ha! ha!) You guys are such a great couple/family. Any trips to McCall this summer?

Glory Laine said...

Big balls! That's what I think of a teenager who can ask big Mikey to reduce his PDA for the other four movie watchers. Big balls, really big.

crystalkupper said...

I really miss Nick....keep enjoying thos movie dates!

Our great adventure said...

SOOOOO funny stef! You go girl :)

Ty and Molly said...

Stef-

Ty and I were reading your blog tonight and we are so proud! Ty agrees with the big balls comment, that kid is pretty brave!

Rachel said...

You guys are so cute! I love that you got in trouble! What a great story!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dale said...

Did Becca really write that comment?

Anonymous said...

good for you guys!

Tara said...

Stef...Love it! How cute! I keep cracking up and I sure do love to crack up right now. Thanks for a great laugh and an important reminder to go out on dates. I'm going to really seek some one on one time with Fred and who knows...movie ticket $8.00, popcorn $5.00, getting kicked out of a movie theater due to smoochin' with your hubbie...PRICELESS!

momaof4 said...

To funny I always wonder what they are doing when they come and stand there and stair for a few minutes.
Looking for naught kids :)

Stacey said...

That's simply hilarious. Good for you, tigress! Maybe you'll steam up the windows on your SUV at an overlook on your next date! ;-)

Sharon said...

Oh, I love it! Thanks for sharing your date with us!!