A Mayflower's Musings

Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Big Mommy Decision - Input please...


Yes? No? Right size? Wrong size? Fashionable? Last Season? This program? That program? ...

I don't know how I came about this attribute - I'm thinking just the luck of the genes. However it came to be, I am able to admit that I have difficulty making decisions. My good friends and family know this well and patiently weigh pros and cons with me constantly. You know who you are and thank you!

I am so jealous of those of you that see everything black and white and bam! make a decision in two seconds flat. (um...my husband for one - we make a good team)

Anyway, all summer I have been praying about a big decision and worrying plenty about it too. Making a long story short, we have decided that Daphne will go to the same preschool program that Maisie has been going to. It's more of a daycare program than the preschool she went to last year - but I have visited with the teacher and think it will be a fine fit. It is a brand new, friendly and a Christian program too. How great to have them in the same spot for convenience sake and the fact that they will go for 4 hours in contrast to the traditional 2 1/2 hours that preschools offer. Did that last year and it is tricky with other kids!

Now here's Phase Two of my decision. This is where you come into play. Trust that I am praying about it too, I just know that some of you might have some great wisdom about this and I need to hear it! Isn't good counsel important too?!

A. So I could have the girls there at the same time for 4 hours! two times a week. This would allow for optimum cleaning, errands, and alone time at home. Can you say quiet time?!

OR

B. I could put them in one day a week together, giving me one day of the above. Then have Daphne go one day alone, keeping Maisie at home for some one-on-one time with me. And then send Maisie another day, so that Daphne can have some alone time with me too. I am considering this because of the fact that the girls fight like crazy when together and alone they are both a dream.

(Ruby takes a morning nap and is a dream girl, so she isn't weighing into this decision at all:)

Now, having presented my wonderful options, I want to say that I recognize that I am blessed with both opportunities and am not complaining about having a decision like this in my hands at all. But since I am faced with both these wonderful choices, I would love some good mommy input here. In the end, I am going to be the one to make the final decision, but your thoughts might help me make the best one!

I'm so glad you are out there doing this mom thing with me friends!

Just writing this has helped a little...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Not sure my advice will mean much to you, since I'm a new mom of one 5 month old little boy...but that said, my vote is to have them go one day together and each one day alone. They would treasure their one on one time with you and you are still left with one day of some time alone (with Ruby) to get things done around the house or watch TV, whatever you want!

I have to tell you, too, that I really appreciate this post...I too am no decision maker...in fact I drive myself and others crazy because I can't make them, yet wish I could. My sister hates shopping with me because i will put something in my cart (even food at the grocery store), then when it comes time to pay, I tell the checker I've changed my mind and don't buy one or two things! I can't appreciate you asking for advice... :)

Unknown said...

I mean I CAN appreciate you asking advice...oops!

Ona said...

Both options sound great, but, I'm with you...I could ponder on these options for weeks, changing my mind at least twice. I'm sure whatever you choose is going to work for all of you. Good luck!
Let us know what you decide:)

momaof4 said...

I like B.

I think it's the best of both worlds. You get a day off, and yet you get a day with each of the older girls, and not only do they each get a day with you, but with Ruby too. As she gets older I think they will both love this time of bonding that they may not get with all three girls home.

Also if will give the girls a bit of indepenance as they have a day by themselves to make their own friends and not follow sissy. You know?

Saying a little prayer for you. It seems like the biggest thing in the world right now for us Moms...school, and siblings, and their little friends. :)

Happy McNally Mom said...

I'm with everyone else on plan B. I think it's a great idea for you to have time to yourself one day then you can spend some one on one time the other days.
Yes, all four of the girls on my blog are my brothers. They have four girls four to one. They are such a wondreful family.
Good luck on the school ideas.

Angela said...

HMMMMM They both sound good but I am thinking B sounds the best. I have been getting some one on one time with both my kids lately and I have LOVED it!

Anonymous said...

First I have to say, wow, your girls are getting so big! Has it been all that long since I have seen you? Anyways, back to the matter at hand, I think plan B would be great, each girl will get to enjoy school/friends on their own and also spend time with you "alone", which, if they are anything like my kids, they would truly love. Hope to see you soon! :)

Molly said...

Two things would taint my decision.
#1 Which of these two am I wanting more in my life?
#2 Which one is harder to get?
Are you really craving alone time? (It's okay if you are.) Or are you really looking for quality one-on-one time with your girls? and... Do you find it easier to find alone time/time to get things done? Or do you find it easier to snag time alone with each girl?

For me, I am not putting Sarah in preschool this year at all. She went last year, but since she is my last kiddo, I want to savor each moment I can.

Both options sound great. I know that with God's help you will make the decision that is best for everyone.

Sharon said...

Hello! : )

You've received some great input so far! And we all know that there's pros and cons to both options.

The best advice that I could give you~something I've always had to live by in our home school vs public school year to year decisions, is that NO DECISION IS PERMANENT! Isn't that a wonderful thought? It totally takes the pressure off!

I'm sure that you are leaning toward one imparticular, for whatever reasons you may have (and I firmly believe that selfish reasons are good reasons, too! ) so "Go for it!" and try it for a month and see how it's working out. You can always switch it up. You'll know. : )

February Jill said...

Well I guess I'm in the minority but I was going to choose option A until I read all the comments and started feeling self conscious that I was the only one going that direction... I don't know!

Hosmerita said...

I would have to say A. Just because, I am on medication with just two children, lady you need a break!

Rachel said...

I'm sure you already have made a decision, and I think you have recieved a lot of great advice!
My two cents...I have to agree 100% with Molly!! You have to decide what you've been needing more. And once you've decided, know that you can ALWAYS change your mind later!!