A Mayflower's Musings

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Why God Gave Us Brothers




Without going into details here in such a public forum, I will just say that my husband had one of the hardest weeks of his life. Everything is okay and we're really hoping that things are calming down. But it's an understatement to say it was an emotional journey and super taxing.

That being said, I had the opportunity to watch some awesome things happen alongside the bad...of course, isn't that God's way to bless His obedient children?! Family and friends were praying for the issue, and above all for Mike's strength. But, one of the best parts of the week was being able to see one of Mike's best friends come to his side in a hurry --- his one and only brother.


My brother-in-law, Matt is a great man. He loves the Lord and that shows by how he loves those fortunate enough to be in his circle of friends and family. Matt was there every step of the way with encouragement, counsel and a little bit of spoiling too.


On the hardest day of all, he called to tell Mike that we were to bring our kids over and he and my sister in law, Becca, would be sending us out to an all expense paid dinner - and he added that there were to be NO ARGUMENTS. It gets better though....because Becca teaches Bible study on that night, Matt watched my girls alone, along with his kiddos. And as we left for one of the fancier restaurants in town, he made sure to demand that we order drinks, appetizers, meals and dessert. So I teared up twice that day - both when Mike told me of Matt's offer and also when Matt said to go all out.


We did too - it was awesome. I had a 4 dollar italian soda, we shared a great appetizer, each had 20 dollar a piece meals, and I ordered a 7 dollar cheesecake at the end. I felt a bit guilty at the cost, but Mike and I knew that Matt really wanted this for us. And by the way, Becca was of course in aggreement with everything and opened her home to my girls, one week before their big moving weekend.


I just had to share this with you all, because it was the best way I could think of to say thank you to Matt. In this crazy week for us, his love for Mikey, was the best side effect witnessed.


I'm so thankful and have such admiration for their relationship!


That was the best Matt - we love you!




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Matt and Becca are such special, loving people! I am not surprised at this wonderful gesture. I worked with Matt for a few years and he was always offering to do nice things for me, just out of the kindness of his heart. Way to go Matt and Becca, sounds like you two did a very wonderful thing for Stephanie and Mike!

February Jill said...

I just love that picture of Matt & Mike in tuxes. It elicits in me the feeling that I need to go on bearing children, just for that warm brother handshake on the day on of them gets married. I love it.

Jonathan said...

It's great to remember them when they were little and see this picture, then to read this story.

Rachel said...

Aren't siblings the best?
I am so glad that you were able to take a much needed break and that Matt (the great guy that he is) was the one to offer it up!
Good for you for indulging!
I hope that things continue to improve!

Angela said...

This post makes me tear up.

That is so who Matt is. He is truly an awesome man.

I am so glad that you guys were able to go out enjoy yourselves.

Ona said...

What a wonderful brother!!! Hope your husband is having a better week.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got some spoiling on such a tough week! Business ownership can be so taxing and stressful sometimes.

I hope Mikey has a better week this week. I know you are a great encourager at home to him!

crystalkupper said...

I'm so grateful for my brothers, too! I'm glad Matt and Becca were there for you guys in your time of need. Siblings are so great!