A Mayflower's Musings

Friday, March 21, 2008

Remembering it's not about me...

Above is exhibit one.

Above is exhibit two.


I used to look most like exhibit one. I enjoyed wearing really feminine, classic dresses that accentuated by best assets and let me pretend I lived in the classic 50's - you know a real vintage look.
So, the other day, I went shopping at Target, for something new to wear for Easter. I had to bring my two youngest cuties along, so there was no trying anything on. I grabbed a really sweet, lavendar gingham dress (exhibit 1) in what I guessed would be the appropriate size and crossed my fingers that it would work. The nearest Target is an hour away, so a return trip before Easter would be unlikely.
Well, you may have already guessed, but the dress didn't look so hot. I had visions of Aunt Bee, from the Andy Griffith show or something of the like... you get it. So, for now, with my pregnancy weight, and my breastfeeding upper half, I guess I'll have to just laugh this one back to the store, and spend some time trying on a few outfits:).
Okay, so #1, this is a little therapeutic and I really am laughing out loud right now. Next year, at this time, after I have allowed myself more time....I know Aunt Bee will be a bygone.
And even more importantly, #2, EASTER is not about all our frilly/perfect appearances. Amen? Although we'll all put on our finest this Sunday, don't we know that it's all about
Him and not us. There's so much freedom in that!
He is RISEN, He is RISEN indeed!
Happy Easter fellow Mommies.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I agree and I will remember this when I go out shopping tomorrow.

momaof4 said...

Amen sister.
I have all 4 today, so you know there is NO shopping today :)

Happy McNally Mom said...

Ok, this is way to funny. I was just talking to myself last night about this. I had myself really worked up about what I am going to wear, because at this point I only have one outfit and it has been seen many times by all. I'm very excited to Praise the Lord Sunday while possiably wearing a new outfit.

crystalkupper said...

You're one of the hottest women I know, hands down, so don't worry! I've always loved your style (coincidentally, it's mine, too....:-) and you make motherhood look studly. :-)

Angela said...

You are so funny!
You look great everytime I see you!

Rachel said...

Very cute post. And you'll be back into your darling dresses in no time!
I remember having to buy clothes after I had Sawyer and having my mom push me into the dressing room and then bringing me size 12 pants...I thought she was insane, but the fit! (Before I had Sawyer I wore a size 2)...Truth be told, if it hadn't been for her, I would have walked out with clothes that would have taken months to fit me!!! Thanks for the laugh...and the memory!
I'm sure you'll look lovely at Easter. Have a wonderful day!

LizzyG said...

I love the exhibit 1 dress! That to me, is a perfect dress.

I just remembered last night (after looking at blogs of all those dilligent, super moms coloring eggs with their kids), that Easter is in just 2 days!!!

I have no idea what I'm going to wear, haven't even thought about it, and honestly I don't really care :). All I care about right now is finding a hat for Olivia to cover her 1/2 chopped hair!

I hope you have a wonderful Easter Sunday (Ruby's 1st Easter!), and enjoy all that we have to be thankful for...you know, that little thing called, eternal life!

(This is the first time, I've posted a comment while at work. You should feel honored. But, I feel so unethical right now, because I know my boss across the hall can hear me typing and thinks I'm working really hard!)

February Jill said...

I know how you feel, but you are such a disciplined girl, you'll be back to exhibit one in no time!

There is something about having a new dress for Easter that just feels good. Elsa is all squared away and I have no idea what I'm going to do yet! Maybe tomorrow I can figure it out.

Hope you have a lovely Easter with your family and have lots of fun with Leslie!

February Jill said...

P.S. I wish I was one of those super moms Liz is talking about. You know, coloring beautiful Easter eggs with Elsa and blogging about it. We'll see...

Ona said...

Hope you had a wonderful Easter and I'm sure you looked gorgeous in whatever you picked out:)