A Mayflower's Musings

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

and life went on...

Every mom that has more than one child knows that the second and subsequent births are different than the first. You may want to just sit on your rocking chair with your newborn all day and nap whenever they nod off to sleep...but that isn't possible anymore.

I even had help so that I could do those above things for awhile, but even then, life went on around me. The girls still had to start school...Daphne's birthday needed grand celebrating on the 7th with treats delivered to school and last minute presents bought...doctor appointments for Henry and I had to be scheduled and attended...and unplanned things occurred too - like Maisie coming down with poison oak:(

I considered calling this post "layers" because that's how I pictured our first weeks with Henry. I was bursting with emotions of new love for my baby, joy over his birth and occasional sadness and nervousness undirected, the girls' needs still needed to be met and yet included in welcoming Henry, and the household chores never stopped. Then there were the visitors and helpful meals. And the expected and unexpected moments when Mike and grandparents swooped in and left me all alone with Henry to reflect on all the above.

Oh yes, and another layer could be night time feedings...so tiring and yet wonderful alone time with Henry!

What a busy and memorable time for us!















6 comments:

Dan and Charity Smith said...

<3 love. Stef, if I start bugging Dan about babies again, I'm blaming you. Kiss all your cuties for me. Miss you! Char

crystalkupper said...

He is just soooo handsome! I don't know how the Duggars do it. You are doing great and will continue to learn and grow!

Our great adventure said...

oh stef you have me crying! In part because I can't wait to meet my baby and in part because I just connect to how you are feeling this time in our lives is SO precious and so hard. I constantly want time to hurry up and yet just hold still and never pass. Love you! You're doing great!

February Jill said...

what amazes me is how hard 1 baby seemed and now I realize what a mother can do when called upon (demanded).

So much fun to share a baby with big kids though don't you think!

Jill

Sara said...

Darling photos & great post. I so relate to the late night feeding. There was something so special about it with my Ruby. Precious, quiet, alone time with my babe. So happy you're doing so well!

Ellen Fahlstrom Wellborn RN said...

Thank you, Stefanie for inviting me to your blog. And for the kind words and gift and the wonderful cookies! I felt very blessed to share in another of your family's celebrations. Henry is truly adorable, I will always remember his wide-eyed calm stare as he enjoyed his first days of being able to actually see his family. He just knew his life was going to be great with these loving people in his life. I am very happy for you, and understand how bittersweet a cherished moment in time can be. Congratulations to you and Mike on your lovely garden of children. I hope to watch them grow through the years!