A Mayflower's Musings

Sunday, June 7, 2009

A New Endeavor

This year when Mike said he had been asked to play softball on our church's summer coed team, I had a choice to make. Either I stay at home with the kids, like the whole rest of my week, OR I join in on the fun. The latter seemed the best idea...but definitely involved (and still involves some fear). You see, I have never played, except for pe and in the backyard at my Grandparent's house with my brother and boy cousins...and that was with a wiffle ball and fat bat. But, tonight we had our first game. I hit the ball on the first pitch each of the three times I got up to bat. The first pitch I made it to first, and then someone else got me all the way to home. There was some major cheering happening by my fellow players and mostly inside my beating heart! The other times I got OUT, but at least I made contact, eh?!

I was SO nervous, but I think this is going to be fun! The girls have really been enjoying their time playing with all the kids during practice and even during the game today!

It's definitely better than being at home, while everyone else is out having a "ball"! (sorry, had to say it!) Even if I am not super star softball player - it's a lesson in bravery and go-for-it-ness!

Look at our fancy uniforms - I even have a #!


Talking about that fear...I hurt my finger really bad at my first practice -

I was warming up with the coach, of all people...and I this finger got totally smashed.

If I had been practicing with Mike, I would have hit the ground in pain, but I just shook it off and whined later at home!

It's almost back to normal now. Just my first sports battle wound!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Job Stef! You and Mike are going to have so much fun doing this together!! Your hair looks super cute in the pony's!

Sara said...

GO STEF!!! So proud of you for going outside your comfort zone and "having a ball!" Can't wait to see you soon! We may be gone around the 4th, and will be at the beach the 13-15th...but other than that, should be flexible. I'd love to do some kiddie time and just some girl time, if we can fit it in! :)

crystalkupper said...

Good work! Saying yes to sports is ALWAYS the best decision!

Glory Laine said...

Did you ever know that your my hero? You're everything I would like to be. I can fly higher than an eagle, cause YOU are the wind beneath my wings.

February Jill said...

This is so cute Stef! I think you should start signing everything like this:

Stef #44

like all the boys do! I bet Mike appreciates you coming out there with him!

Jill

Angela said...

YAY! Good for you Stef!!!

Grateful Disciple said...

You are awesome! Maybe next year Jarv and I will join the crew if there is one. Go #44!

Growing Good Golfers said...

Ouch. The finger looks sore. Way to go though!

Carla Dyment Photography said...

LOVE your post! I hate jammed fingers... ouch! Don't forget to ice it.