A Mayflower's Musings

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mommy Reward



I guess I've been resorted to the fact that this phase in Mommy~hood is a lot more work than reward. Of course that outlook is tied to my attitude and persective most of the time. But it is true that looking after three young children can be mostly a one sided service.

It's tiring, but I thrive on the "rewards". When received, they take me far above the thankless moments and let me sit on the clouds of love, pride, and joy.

Last night was one of those moments...it was unexpected and brilliantly fulfilling. (sorry if this is a bit boastful)

Maisie went from her skills on the hotwheels and three-wheeled scooter, right to big girl bike with no training wheels. She literally skipped the training wheel portion of bike progression. She asked to try it, and to my surprise was fully capable. I was pleasantly shocked.

For all of you that follow Ms. Maisie's and my life together you know that smooth transitions haven't really been a part of her existence. But in that very moment of sharing in her ease of a new skill, I had a glimpse into a very successful future that I have always hoped for.

It was a blessed night of much needed exercise for me, running next to her pedaling away, and helping her make the tricky turns. She was beaming and our whole family and many neighbors stayed out til after 9pm in complete 1950's sort of summer style.
We let her call every grandparent under the sun and just soaked in her excitement.

Then I ended the evening taking turns reading a brand new book with Daphne.

I fell asleep so content with my phase in life - and reminded that God really is growing my kids up well - sometimes when I am in complete union with His plans, and sometimes despite my complete failure. I'm so thankful, blessed and awed that He is in control and will sustain me as their mother.

3 comments:

crystalkupper said...

Yay for learning new skills! I learned to ride a 2-wheeler really young, too. That determination will take her far! P.S. just in case you hadn't heard the news, we're having another boy! :-)

Debbie said...

What a great perspective and thought for us to remember these moments. (EXHAUSTED - is a word I use often) God reminds us of why we do what we do....
Love you my friend!

Sara said...

Love this post, Stef, and your glimpses into motherhood!