A Mayflower's Musings

Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Datne" to "Daphne"

Why do we live our lives in such tension? You know, loving Hawaii - a miraculous get-away in every sense and yet, in the evenings feeling homesick. Resorting to food as a comfort when things drain me emotionally, and yet the immediate guilt that makes me even more miserable. Pulling hair out with a preschooler who challenges me constantly, but hating the fact that she's growing up! The last couple weeks have been trying in the parental areas of patience and wisdom. God is keeping me afloat though...daily prayers, constant doses of perspective, and the "parenting" or "discipline" section at the public library. I was reminded yesterday, that no matter how rough the behavior is...I'm still going to miss this! Because one day, Maisie was still calling her big sister, "Datne" - the name she's used for forever....and yesterday, her brain figured out how to say the F sound and now it's Daphne - perfectly pronounced. No wonder she's been having tantrums...I seriously think her brain must be growing and changing so fast these days, that it's hard for her to keep up! I could end all my posts with this next word...BLESSED!


7 comments:

crystalkupper said...

I swear, everyone else's kids seem to be growing up so much faster than mine...

Moon Dance Ranch said...

So true! Thanks for the reminder, we won't want to miss all the little things even when we are embarassed by our kid's behavior! You are a great MOM.

February Jill said...

Stefanie,
You are so good at reminding all of us moms that even the most difficult days with our children should be cherished because someday when they are grown we will get way more peace and quiet than we'll want! They are so good and sweet, all of them.
Love you, Jill

momaof4 said...

There are day's that I think..this to shall pass, and I CAN'T WAIT!!! But then the reminder that, this to shall pass, and it won't be here any more. :(

Growing Good Golfers said...

Adorable pictures! And yes, I definitely want to go to a movie soon!

Unknown said...

Way cute video of Maisie. I love the end. :) I met your friend Leslie at a mary kay party right before Christmas, and during conversation I realized I "knew" her from reading her blog. :)

Stacey said...

Cupcakes and a birthday cake? I like her style!