A Mayflower's Musings

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Henry had his first birthday last weekend.  It was a glorious day.  I just knew if I kept having babies I'd eventually get some things "just right"...ha!  Honestly, the experience helps a lot but it's just as hard in different ways.  BUT, in preparations for Henry's special day, I did take all the other parties we've thrown into consideration and it turned out pretty perfect!

We invited just family, which nowadays is quite a crew with lots of first cousins!  We planned an easy menu...hot dog bar with lots of toppings. I ignored pinterest, which although offered many a fabulous idea for a John Deere themed party, completely overwhelmed me!  I bought a new dress the week before the party so that I knew exactly what I was gonna wear and feel good about getting in some of the pictures.   Mike took the girls out to breakfast and to a couple job sites the morning of the party so I could concentrate on cleaning without new "kid messes" appearing underfoot.   I cleaned like a mad panicked woman, like I always do, thinking even family would judge me for cobwebs, but of course, never do!  My mother in law suggested I concentrate on just downstairs, which proved the wisest tip of the day.   I did however get to making the beds and tidying the birthday boy's room....that seemed a must to me!  And then the most simple thing I've learned but still have a hard time adhering to, is to prepare to be done with the cleaning an HOUR before the party.  So many times I clean right up to the last minute and am dashing into the shower as guests arrive.   Not this time!  I even got on make-up.

Finally, and you all are gonna like this learning curve of mine....at the very end of the party,  a few of us went out for a cocktail.  All my sisters were invited, but only Becca and cousin Jill could make it.  We left the kids with the husbands and high tailed it for the rooftop bar at McMenamins.    I just knew that I was going to be pretty sad about Henry's milestone...last baby...big huge year of mommy-ing, and that even more than the birthday cake and streamers, I was going to need this day to be a little about ME.  I honestly cried a good portion of the time I cleaned the house when I was all alone.  Good, therapeutic, blessed mama, happy tears.   So, after a really fun time with family, I was ready to just sit and sip a lemon drop on a beautiful September eve. 


















Thanks to everyone who made Henry's day wonderfully wonderful.

3 comments:

crystalkupper said...

Good job, Stef! Everything turned out lovely as usual. I love Henry's cool stare. :-)

KLB said...

wonderful party!

Stacy said...

He can't possibly be one already!!!! Amazing! And a total cutie too! Great lessons learned, I've tried to make sure I have a meal in the freezer or the crock pot for a birthday party day, seems like I always forget that we'll need to eat afterward. I'm stealing the cocktail idea though, brilliant!